HTTP Uploads 5X faster on Windows than Mac?

mapurcel
Contributor III

We use MediaBeacon for digital asset management and our end users upload files from both Windows machines and Macs to the MediaBeacon servers at a datacenter. The Windows clients can upload a 1.5 GB file in 30 seconds while the Macs on the same network take about 3 minutes. I was also able to upload the file in 30 seconds from a Windows VM running on my Mac (VMWare Fusion using Bridged Networking to the NIC on my Mac). We use a web interface to upload via HTTP.

So it appears to be something within OSX, is anyone familiar with this constraint and how to get around it? thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

justinrummel
Contributor III

Since you are talking about web based uploads via a browser, have you tried testing between different browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc) to see if there is a difference. Also, what OS are your running (Yosemite, Mavericks)?

mapurcel
Contributor III

Yes, I've tried with all the main browsers and ended up doing my testing on Chrome (both Mac and Windows). Safari is about the same as Chrome on OSX and Chrome on Windows is much faster than IE. I've also tested it across 10.8,10.9, and 10.10. The Web server is Win 2008 R2.