Safari no longer working after update

mradams
Contributor

We are a K-12 institution and use Proxy.pac files to direct iPad traffic. After update to iOS 10 Safari has ceased to function. Our Apple SE stated this is known and the solution is to create a not so custom pac file from our firewall.

Anyone out there have safari working behind a firewall without having to change current .pac files? We use Websense as our web filter. We have just about everything Apple routed straight through the firewall.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mradams
Contributor

We finally figured it out and fixed the issue. Siri is no longer WPAD aware, we had to assign a rule to our Firewall to permit all traffic for itunes.apple.com full access. Previously we were using our pac file to permit *.apple.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

danny33c
New Contributor III

Do students have to authenticate to the proxy when they are off campus?

If so, I believe we had the same issue. Do you just get a blank screen when trying to access Safari? No errors?

We added a our certificate to the ssl bypass list. Proxy and web both checked to bypass. I'm getting this information second hand, but basically our network admin found this solution. iOS 10 looks at the root certificate, I think this is causing other issues with restores on iPads that are in DEP.

mradams
Contributor

We finally figured it out and fixed the issue. Siri is no longer WPAD aware, we had to assign a rule to our Firewall to permit all traffic for itunes.apple.com full access. Previously we were using our pac file to permit *.apple.com