Scholastic Reading Apps

jdinger29
New Contributor II

Hello All,

I know this has been discussed elsewhere but the discussions are older and I am wondering if anyone has found a better solution:

I am trying to configure 4 Scholastic Reading Apps on iPads. 2 of the Apps (Stage B: Read180 and SRI) accept and hold the Site ID with no issues but SRC and rSkills will not hold the Site ID. A previous thread suggested adding a script in the App Configuration on JSS but this has not worked for me. (previous thread: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11922)

Scholastic is unable to replicate the problem on their end and my teachers are getting very frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions or anything that has worked for them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jdinger29
New Contributor II

Hey good news! I am not sure if something happened on the JAMF end or if I finally just lucked into the solution. Here is what finally worked: In the App config tab on JSS I inserted this script:
<dict>
<key>SiteID</key>
<string>h########</string> </dict>

(######## = our site ID number)

I had the students uninstall and then reinstall the app.

Then we manually entered the site ID on the iPad in the app settings and the site ID held!

Thanks so much!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

smith_kyle
New Contributor III

You're trying to add site id with app configuration preferences? (I'm not familiar with this app, FYI, just have almost pulled my hair out trying to get settings pushed to apps/devices this way). If so, then the app needs to be installed as a managed app on the ios devices. You can verify its management status under the device inventory > apps for the device.

jdinger29
New Contributor II

Hi Kyle,

I am trying app config. preferences AND under the App settings on the device. I have tried just about every combination with no luck. (ie... device only, app config only, both...) The App is managed and distributed through Self Service. Thanks for your input!

jdinger29
New Contributor II

Hey good news! I am not sure if something happened on the JAMF end or if I finally just lucked into the solution. Here is what finally worked: In the App config tab on JSS I inserted this script:
<dict>
<key>SiteID</key>
<string>h########</string> </dict>

(######## = our site ID number)

I had the students uninstall and then reinstall the app.

Then we manually entered the site ID on the iPad in the app settings and the site ID held!

Thanks so much!

kmccann
New Contributor II

THANK YOU for this information. We have had the same problem, with the same response from Scholastic....No one else is having that issue. LIARS. I really have no respect for their tech support team and stumbled across this post.

You saved me, this worked for us!

Kim McCann
Rose Tree Media School District

karenas
New Contributor

Thank you for posting this fix! I have been running tests all day to see what was breaking these apps. Although I don't think it's Scholastic because if you install the apps directly from the App Store they work without issue. As soon as you assign it to the Self Service mobile app or install it automatically it stops holding the information. I'm not sure why this fixes it, but it does!! Thank you!!

ayla_abbott
New Contributor III

@jdinger29 You are worthy of much praise for this fix. Worked perfectly! Since we fired up our JSS I've been wondering if there was a way to slip that site ID into the configuration, and the fact that it solves an issue like this is just wonderful.

ludwigb
New Contributor

We are new to JAMF and are wondering does this fix actually place the site id when it install via jamf or do we still have to input the site id number to every ipad we have reading counts installed. If I am reading that right, by putting the script in only keeps from having to retype the site id everytime you open and close reading counts. I am hoping I do not have to type the site id in all my ipads. Any suggestions would be appreciaded

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@ludwigb That's correct. Based off my personal experiences once you add the site id to the app configuration and install the app it won't display the site id in Settings until the app is launched. So be aware of that.

tdilossi
Contributor

Thanks! This still works in 2019!!

walkerkw
New Contributor

Great Post. Has anyone had the same luck with the FasTTMath APP?

ryan_martindale
New Contributor II

I would like to know if anyone got it to work with FASTT Math as well. In Settings, FASTT Math uses SAM URL instead of SiteID.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

It would work the same way. Instead of a SiteID # you would enter your hosted instance url i.e. https://h123456789.education.scholastic.com

Not applicable

@jdinger29 Thank you! I received the wrong plist info from the vendor's support team, but this worked like charm! Saved me a bit of back and forth - thank you again!

P.S. Can confirm that this still works as of Feb, 2020.