Scope PreStage Machines into Policies

sujal1208
New Contributor III

Hi guys,

I have certain polices that need to be added after the prestage enrollment on certain machines.

We have couple of MacMini used for marketing purposes and we have about 3 policies that are only meant for these machines. What is the best way to attach these policies so that once they are scoped in prestage, it also gets scoped on the policies.

My though was using a smart group and having it linked via serial numbers but not sure if that's the best or efficient method. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@sujal1208 Correct. Just create a Smart Group specific to each of your PreStage configurations, and you can use them to automatically target policies to run on the machines in those PreStages after enrollment

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@sujal1208 A Smart Group using the 3 specific serial numbers should work, but may not be ideal. My approach for Macs that require a special configuration on enrollment is to have a dedicated PreStage for them. You can create a Smart Group with the Criteria "Enrollment Method: PreStage enrollment" and Operator "Is" with Value "Name of your Special PreStage Enrollment". Use that Smart Group to scope the policies you want to apply.

If you have a single PreStage, and you want to keep theses minis in that PreStage, are the users unique for them, and are they already known to Jamf Pro? If so you could create a Static User Group and scope it to the policies you want to run. If not, the Smart Group for the specific serial numbers would work.

sujal1208
New Contributor III

As of right now, they aren't on JAMF's inventory but its being detected by PreStage.

I liked your approach of creating a Smart Group with the link of the PreStage enrollment. Just to clarify the way your method would work is:

Prestage Enrollment named: Test Dummy
Smart Group:
* Criteria of Enrollment Method: PreStage
* Operator: Is
* Value: Test Dummy

And going forward, if I create multiple PreStages, I can copy the same style but change the value? 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@sujal1208 Correct. Just create a Smart Group specific to each of your PreStage configurations, and you can use them to automatically target policies to run on the machines in those PreStages after enrollment

sujal1208
New Contributor III

Thanks man. Got it to work. Really appreciate the help.