script help

LarryH
New Contributor III

I want to check to see if a couple of directories exist and if not create them before running rest of the script

I’m using if-then-else statements but that is not working for me. I find I have to run the script 3 times: 1st-time it creates the first directory, 2nd – it creates the second directory and then 3rd – time it runs the rest of the script. After the directories have been created the script runs fine. I just don’t want it to have to run it three times before it works as it should.
Thanks

#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -d $ZZdesktop ]; then
    mkdir -p $ZZdesktop
else

if [ ! -d $ZZdocuments ]; then
             mkdir -p $ZZdocuments
        else

rsync -ahv --progress --delete "/Users/$CUser/Desktop/" /Users/$CUser/Box Sync/$CUser/zz_backup/z_desktop/ 2>> /Users/Shared/${CUser}syncerror_desktop

fi
fi
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

It's because of the "else" statements. First time it runs, it does "mkdir -p $ZZdesktop" and then bails on the rest because the rest is in an "else" statement. It will follow the "else" branch the next time it runs.

I think you can just make them two separate "if" statements.

#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p $ZZdesktop
fi

mkdir -p $ZZdocuments
fi

rsync -ahv --progress --delete "/Users/$CUser/Desktop/" /Users/$CUser/Box Sync/$CUser/zz_backup/z_desktop/ 2>> /Users/Shared/${CUser}syncerror_desktop

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

It's because of the "else" statements. First time it runs, it does "mkdir -p $ZZdesktop" and then bails on the rest because the rest is in an "else" statement. It will follow the "else" branch the next time it runs.

I think you can just make them two separate "if" statements.

#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p $ZZdesktop
fi

mkdir -p $ZZdocuments
fi

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

would definitely go with what @alexjdale says. if you insist on using 'else' though here is what it would look like

#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p $ZZdesktop
    mkdir -p $ZZdocuments
else 
        mkdir -p $ZZdocuments
    else
    fi
fi

Not pretty. A lot of duplicated effort.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

+1 to @alexjdale's suggestion. Check for each needed directory in its own if/then block. By the time the script reaches the rsync line, everything should be in place to run correctly.
Although its not actually clear why those folders are being created based on what you posted. I assume there is more to the script we aren't seeing.

LarryH
New Contributor III

Thanks @alexjdale so simple, @bpave777 not sure why I was thinking it needed the else statement.

@mm2270 No I did not post the entire script, just the part that had me stumped, thanks.

sean
Valued Contributor

If you are going to run the same command multiple times, you could set an array and then iterate.

#!/bin/bash

declare -a MakeDirs=( '/Volumes/Users/user1/test' 
                        '/Volumes/Users/user2/test' )

for each_dir in "${MakeDirs[@]}"
do
        if [[ ! -d "$each_dir" ]]
        then
                mkdir -p "$each_dir"
        fi
done

exit 0