Script to Install macOS Monterey install Error:

astrugatch
New Contributor III

#!/bin/bash
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --forcequitapps --nointeraction

Getting the error:

Script result: Error: The update cannot be installed on this computer.

The .app is the full version installed via PKG (Download Full Installer app).

What am I missing?

6 REPLIES 6

astrugatch
New Contributor III

Guess I should have checked this sooner, but it also won't run manually. It starts the app when double clicked, but when you select the drive you get the same error.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

What model is the Mac you're running it on? If the hardware isn't supported, it will give that exact error.

astrugatch
New Contributor III

2020 Air. Definitely a supported model.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Hmm. then the only other thing I can think of is the hard drive is full.   One trick you can do is when you launch the installer, after you get to the initial screen, press Command-L to display the log. Then change the setting to Show All (or something to that effect). Then when you click through to run the installation, you should see the cause appear in the log window.

astrugatch
New Contributor III

Thought about storage too. Over 200GB available on all the machines I tested. The only other thing I can think of is that I ran Download Full Installer on my M1 pro and that there might be a variant .app for m1, despite the fact that the installer reports as a universal app. The only other thing I can thinks is some kind of corruption on the PKG itself. 

Minomis
New Contributor II

Have you verified that the logged in account has a secure token?