Self Service App Crashing on Mac Clients

avail
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I've had an issue since upgrading to Jamf Pro v10. On some client Macs, the Self Service app constantly crashes. In some cases it crashes as soon as it tries to launch. In other cases it crashes as soon as you click anywhere in the app window. In a few other cases, the app will be working fine, but as soon as you click on the 'History' or 'Updates' button at the top, the app crashes and continues to do so each time your open it.

It has mostly happened on 10.11.6 clients, but we have one Mac running 10.12.6 that is now having the same issue.

I had logged support call with Jamf about it. They said it was a bug with 10.0 and to update to 10.1. Did that, confirmed that the clients had the newest version of the app, but no change. Removing the frameworks from the client and re-enrolling it worked once on one client, but as soon as I clicked something in the app window, boom, crashed.

Jamf did a remote session into my server, made sure everything looked ok there, checked the config, policies, etc. They found no issue. They checked log files from the clients but didn't find anything helpful. After rebuilding one of the Macs with this issue, the support call was sort of left at that as 'that's the fix'. But we all know, rebuilding each client with this issue isn't the greatest of fixes :)

Reinstalling the OS seems to help as well, but still not a viable option. I'm just really curious if anyone else have had an issue like this.

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

gwalder
New Contributor

Mine does this as well Jamf Pro 10.2.1. Clients are 10.13.3

When first enrolling they work, after a period of time or reboot they break. Using recon I can get them working for a brief period of time

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

@avail I'm curious...did they have you try remove Self Service and then running a sudo jamf recon followed by a sudo jamf policy? that should reinstall Self Service on there. If you really want to be clean, you could try sudo jamf removeFramework and reenroll/recon again, but you should have to go that far. This may not work, but worth a shot. Also, you didn't do custom branding did you. I don't know why that would cause issues but it's a question worth asking.

avail
New Contributor III

Hi @blackholemac - yes tried removing the app and runnng recon/policy to reinstall the app with no change. Also have done removeframework and reenrolled. This hasn't solved it other! We do have a custom banner that I removed but didn't help the clients any.

@gwalder good to know I'm not alone!

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@avail I ran into this on a computer just the other day. When the user would launch the Self Service app it would immediately crash. After a bit of troubleshooting, I found that the user's login keychain was missing the com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.privatekey and a com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.publickey. Those files apparently get added to the login keychain on launch of the application. Something was wrong with the user's login keychain that prevented those files from getting added to the keychain. After I deleted the login keychain and restarted the computer I was able to get Self Service to launch. Looking in the login keychain I found those two files. Not sure if your issue is the same or not but it might be worth looking at the login keychain to see.

avail
New Contributor III

Thanks @mpermann - I'll give that a shot!

avail
New Contributor III

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that this happens for all users on the Mac, irregardless if it's a local account, network account, admin or standard account. Once it crashes, it keeps crashing for all!

RRTXmacAdmin
New Contributor III

Running JAMF Pro 10.4.1. I am also having this issue on a freshly imaged macOS Sierra Client. Self Service will run for 5-10 min and then quits unexpectedly, and consistently. Below are some specifics in regards to the error. Perhaps someone from JAMF can decipher this better. Clearly something isn't working right.

Process: Self Service [21057]
Path: /Applications/Self Service.app/Contents/MacOS/Self Service
Identifier: com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac
Version: 10.4.1 (10.4.1-t1525267633)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Self Service [21057]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-05-24 15:08:18.039 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.6 (16G1314)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID:

Time Awake Since Boot: 190000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 6 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Application Specific Backtrace 1:
0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff960d12cb exceptionPreprocess 171
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fffaaeec48d objc_exception_throw
2 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9614fc3d [NSException raise:format:] 205
3 Foundation 0x00007fff97ace924 -[NSDistantObject forwardInvocation:] 302
4 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9604354a __forwarding
5 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff960432a8 _CF_forwarding_prep_0 120
6 Self Service 0x0000000107288c7b Self Service
7 Self Service 0x0000000107286652 Self Service 718418
8 Self Service 0x0000000107266107 Self Service
9 Self Service 0x000000010724baf0 Self Service 477936
10 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fffab7a5524 _dispatch_call_block_and_release
11 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fffab79c8fc _dispatch_client_callout 8
12 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fffab79e86e _dispatch_root_queue_drain
13 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fffab79e48c _dispatch_worker_thread3 99
14 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffab9eb5a2 _pthread_wqthread
15 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffab9eb07d start_wqthread + 13

cowesa
New Contributor

Thanks @mpermann that worked!!

Sanchi
Contributor

Something that worked for me was the following:

1) Drag Self Service app to the trash.
2) In the users login keychain delete com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.privatekey and com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.publickey
3) In Terminal run sudo jamf policy to reinstall the Self Service app
4) Launch new Self Service app

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@Sanchi This helped address the same issue on a computer I had do you know if it will error out again upon the next policy check in period?

cindy_jimenez
New Contributor II

We had two machines behaving the same and the steps above worked great. So this applies for 10.16 of Jamf as well.
2) In the users login keychain delete com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.privatekey and com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.publickey
4) Launch new Self Service app

RJH
Contributor

just had this issue on one random mac, and the fix above, deleting the two entries and re-opening solved the problem. Running JAMF 10.21 on prem. thanks all - was pulling my hair out with this one.!

gforsyth
New Contributor III

We fixed with the following.

4) Reboot
5) Launch new Self Service app

I have seen this on 2 Macs in my fleet in the last week. Does anyone know why this is happening?

RJH
Contributor

seeing this issue occur quite often across the mac fleet. Wondering if this is a known issue with 10.21 and is there a way to remediate in an automated fashion. Can the deletion of these keys be scripted ?
of note - for each situation I've seen, the deletion of the Self Service app is not required, just deleting the 2x keys and starting self service.

NightFlight
New Contributor III

We are in the same boat. Did you ever find a way to identify and delete com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.privatekey, com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.publickey, com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.credentials ?

thta
New Contributor III

Same issue here, opened a Support case with Jamf. JAMF-2935785

Can't find the keys so guessing that solution isn't working anymore..
Any ideas out there?

thta
New Contributor III

After playing around for hours i found that the changed icon for Self Service caused the issue.

Working perfectly when deploying from user enrolment etc but as soon as you try to do a MDM enrolment it breaks.

Followed the guidelines and it worked fine.

https://docs.jamf.com/10.30.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/Jamf_Self_Service_for_macOS_Branding_Settings.html

dcgagne
Contributor
After playing around for hours i found that the changed icon for Self Service caused the issue. Working perfectly when deploying from user enrolment etc but as soon as you try to do a MDM enrolment it breaks. Followed the guidelines and it worked fine. https://docs.jamf.com/10.30.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/Jamf_Self_Service_for_macOS_Branding_Settings.html

Confirmed this was my issue as well. Looks like it may have been a fleet wide issue across OS versions, so that made for a fun day finding out a PNG can stop Jamf in its tracks

edit Looks like the problem is more persistent. Clearing the branding still shows older branding elements and SS still crashed when you navigate the side panel. Removing it and letting SS reinstall doesn't seem to fix it either.

edit 2 It looks like the thing causing the crash is using "Browse" in Self Service. Every other function seems to work. Looks like a new case is getting opened