Self Service App - Notification issues

Malcolm
Contributor II

As I am led to believe, there is no way to force enable notifications for specific apps. so forcing on notifications for users is not an option. So when Self Service was distributed to our users (kids) many selected no.

If the end user has selected not to receive notifications for the app, the reliability of push notifications is USELESS.

Is this something Apple can work out with their MDM partners to remedy with a future IOS update?

Or is there a way to re-request notifications enabled? if it is turned off?

14 REPLIES 14

loceee
Contributor

I've had some thoughts about this. Perhaps if you are using VPP, rather than telling the JSS to deliver Self Service upon enrolment, you could deliver it via VPP to supervised devices without prompting.

The user would still have to agree to VPP invitation, and you'd need to configure app with an XML blob to point it at your JSS.

I might take this back to the lab and experiment.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Thats how I have set it loceee, I have no self-service (neither) option selected for self-service
and I have pushed the web clip via a config profile and the app out via vpp. incase they haven't agreed to the invitation.

The downside is, they are still prompted to enable notifications, of which they turn off.

If apple supported the use of configuring notifications of the self service app through the use of apples mdm managed app settings, then it could be forced on, or if the app is set to only work if notifications are turned on for the app, then it would make the use more reliable.

loceee
Contributor

Yeah, that prompt for notifications is unavoidable at the moment. You'll have to hope for further MDM capability in a later iOS release.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@loceee How do you go about configuring apps that are pushed from VPP? I only see the option to configure the apps pushed by Casper

loceee
Contributor

I understand that when managed distribution first launched apps that were allocated pushed automatically. Apple made changes due to complaints that networks were saturated by massive app downloads. Now we have to rely on the mdm performing the push. And Casper needs a change to make this work better.

Malcolm
Contributor II

I think I have worked up a hack work around for notifications, which might even be more effective than push notifications. (currently putting into testing)

@loceee @Simmo

With the change background flexibility I think which came with 8.1.3, if I set a configuration profile, to change the background, based on a smart group, and have users enter the group, if their storage is low, or if there itunes account details are missing, a background will be forced to the device. With the appropriate message to rectify the problem.

So when it is fixed, the message should release the background image and allow them to set it again.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Crap, its not a config profile option.... but this would fix the problem.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Malcolm Interesting solution, but I'm not entirely sure I like the idea, it feels a bit too intrusive for my liking.
There is also the problem of apps being in the way and obscuring the message.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Yeah I am thinking a combined effort, changing just the lock screen, with instructions to read a pdf, via self-service for instructions. for example. I am just testing it out at the moment, and will look at communicating it to our parents and students shortly.

bcampbell
Contributor

@Malcolm Changing an iPad background or lock screen to notify a user (middle-school students in my case) of a situation that needs to be resolved (e.g. no backup run in a long time) is a great idea. Even if kids ignore it, a teacher will be more likely to notice the situation or, at least, could do a quick, simple visual inspection of iPads to make sure students have taken care of a problem.

Now I'm off to find where you can set the background and/or the lock screen vis JSS Casper. Anyone want to save me some time and point me to the right section of mobile device configuration profiles?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

I thought it was only a Management command. Interested to hear more details about how @Malcolm's solution is implemented!

chris

Emmert
Valued Contributor
Now I'm off to find where you can set the background and/or the lock screen vis JSS Casper. Anyone want to save me some time and point me to the right section of mobile device configuration profiles?

I don't think you can do this with a profile, I've only seen it under action > management.

bcampbell
Contributor

After contacting support today to confirm, it does look like this is currently only available under action > management. So while it is not something than can be automatically done using a Smart Group, it could still be feasible using a query an mass management action occasionally when there is a particular issue to address. As I think about it, one of the most complicated parts about doing that is setting the lock screen or wallpaper back after the issue has been resolved. One would need to figure out who was removed from the list and do another batch command.

I'm guessing this feature is originally in there to set a custom institution background on institution owned devices. The great idea @Malcolm came up with probably wasn't conceived at that time. Sounds like this should be a feature request for making it a configuration profile option with this use case in mind.

Malcolm
Contributor II

I'm glad you all like the idea, it will see that action is taken, cause I'm sure the students will make it known when it happens. They will be quick to make it rectified too. They won just sit there and twiddle their thumbs, they will. Either do it or change it back.

Its under actions in the smart group, or individual ipads I mobile devices, has to be ios 8.1.3 if I recall. You can google. IPad background resolutions to get the right image dimensions.

My mate who's an it manager, said he he would be pissed if his kids backgrounds were changed, but this I think would only help make sure action was taken to resolve the mater, expect an influx of users visiting, when the change is made though.

I'm running the idea by the prin on Monday, and id approved ill be giving parents fair warning to take the suitable action prior to the forced background change. Some parents will welcome the idea.

I've made a request to set automated actions a smart group in the request area.