Self Service authentication

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hi-

My self service prefs are currently set to not need any login or any local admin credentials to install, yet some of my users are being prompted for credentials (including my test machine). Has anyone seen this?

Thanks
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Infrastructure and Operations
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

5 REPLIES 5

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I have seen this when the casper admin passwords (what you use for ssh) do not match on the client machine and the JSS. Make sure the machine is managed with the proper ssh password and then self service should work.

I had some problems last year when we rolled out a new test taking app along with a casper password update (the password got leaked, so I was forced to update) and for whatever reason, be it wifi network issues, or client software issues some of the macbooks never updated the ssh account password.

So what I did was go into the JSS and create a local account policy to modify the local casper admin account on the client machines. Set the new password and set it to run once per a machine every 30 minutes. Then I duplicated that exact policy and set it to custom trigger and set the trigger to resetCadmin.

Then on all the machines that the management had some how been jacked up on I would open up ARD Admin on my MBP and do VLAN scans for all client machines and then use the 'send Unix' command via ARD admin to those machines. I ran it as root too, and this was the command

/usr/sbin/jamf policy -trigger resetCadmin

That would then force all of those machines to run that policy as root (so no authentication needed) and it would force a password change to the new and updated password.

On a side note I found out that when you send 400+ clients to the JSS to trigger a custom policy at the same time it can come a bit unresponsive.

This is my only guess as to why it is happening. That or for some reason your clients never got the updated password, or perhaps they weren't added with the quickadd.pkg? Do you have multiple passwords running about for casper?

-tom

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Yesterday I noticed that self service was prompting for authentication. on some machines The only problem is that in the JSS I don't have it set to prompt for authentication. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks
Allen

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

In the JSS Try

Turning Authentication for Self Service ON
Save the settings
Turn it off
Save the settings

I find that sometimes the setting goes bad and it has to be re set..

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

This also occurs if your admin account password is out of step with what
the JSS has stored. Basically, Self Service tries the stored password, if
it fails, prompts interactively for the user to provide an admin-class
username and password. We have a maintenance policy set up that computers
can be added to that will re-sync the passwords to something known.

j
-- Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

frattura30
New Contributor

Self Service 8.4 asks for admin authentication.