Self Service Icons

bmichelon
New Contributor

Where do I find the self service icons for many of the applications we use?

8 REPLIES 8

pat_best
Contributor III

If you mean the uploaded images put into policies for display in self service, the most common way (I think) is to do a get info on the app you are looking at, do a command+c on the little image in the upper left of the window and open it with Preview. At that point you can save it as a .png and upload it into your policy. One thing I have run into is that there are multiple image sizes in that .png and Self Service will "animate" them going throughall of the image sizes. You can get around this by saving as .jpg or just dragging out one of the image sizes from the original preview file you created and use that one.

edit: I was sure that a quick search would display this info... if some one has a link that would be great!

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

One way: Right click on your app, view contents and look for the app icon in the folders, usually in Contents/Resources and ends with .icns
Option-Drag (Copy) it to your desktop, and then open it in Preview and save it as a .png

Another way: Browse to the app in the Applications folder, set your window to column view, single click the app and screen shot the icon from there. Open in preview if it needs to be converted

Edit: Oh yah that's right, @pat.best that's another good way, Preview> New from Clipboard!!

scottb
Honored Contributor

It's easy, but here's one of the master's writeups - no sense reinventing the wheel:

Icons by @rtrouton

pat_best
Contributor III

thanks @scottb that was what I was looking for!

scottb
Honored Contributor

Like the others, I started to write up a how to but remembered this page so...good luck.

davidhiggs
Contributor III

Even better, try out Self Service Icon Maker from @mm2270

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Worst-case, if none of the excellent suggestions above work, there's always Google Image Search to fall back on as a last resort.

hurup
New Contributor II

That self service icon maker is genius.