Self Service Login Username and Password Fields Black

andrewseago
Contributor

After upgrading to Safari 5.1.6/5.1.7/5.2b3 on 10.7.3 and 10.7.4 the login fields for both the Username and Password are black with black text. This makes it impossible to see what you are typing. Self Service 8.43, 8.5, 8.51 and 8.52 are affected.

Anyone else experiencing this?

19 REPLIES 19

Not applicable

I've seen the same problem on our end as well.
Running Casper 8.52.

Blakwulf
New Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me as well. I had to open a text editor and typed my credentials. Then copy/paste them into the appropriate fields.

rlandgraf
Contributor

Having the same problem on 10.7.4, it also takes forever to load all the icons for different installs and things. 10.7.3 machines appear to still work just fine.

tanderson
Contributor

We can add 8.31 to the list of affected versions as well.

thomasC
Contributor

Yep. Didn't see your post and started one as well.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

10.7.4 contained the Safari 5.1.6 update... The Safari 5.1.7 update was issued seperately.

I guess with these Safari updates came an update to WebKit (or something along those lines) which has borked self service. :(

rlandgraf
Contributor

It seems to be Safari 5.1.7 update it that breaks it no matter what OS or casper version. Kind of annoying, I took a machine just with 10.6.8 on it and just ran the Safari update and now get the black boxes in both Self Service and several other web programs as well.

rlandgraf
Contributor

It seems to be Safari 5.1.7 update it that breaks it no matter what OS or casper version. Kind of annoying, I took a machine just with 10.6.8 on it and just ran the Safari update and now get the black boxes in both Self Service and several other web programs as well.

rlandgraf
Contributor

Talked to someone from Apple yesterday and they said that it was a problem with the new Webforms they included in the new webkit that was released with the newest version of Safari. They know of the problem but weren't sure when they would get to fixing it. Hopefully soon as this has caused those black boxes in several of the web programs that we use.

John_Sutcliffe
New Contributor III

A bit more info over at Stackoverflow regarding this issue (if you'd like the technical details): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10587916/black-input-backgrounds-cocoa-webview

We have a fix we've been testing and will have it in our next release. I don't have specific dates for the upcoming release but stay tuned.

snook
New Contributor III

Here's a quick fix

On your JSS Server go to Library/JSS/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT/theme/selfservice2

Copy the SelfService.css file to your desktop

Open the file in a text editor (TextWrangler is what I use)

at line 58 you'll see

div#login input{ margin-bottom: 10px; float: left;
}

make it

div#login input{ margin-bottom: 10px; float: left; border: 1px solid #fff; }

copy the SelfService.css file back to Library/JSS/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT/theme/selfservice2

You will have to authenticate to get it back

by adding the white (fff) 1px border to the input field you will now have white text boxes again

Now users can launch SelfServce and see white boxes again

#nccug

Snook

JasonAdams
New Contributor II

Snook, awesome job, I just implemented your fix.
Outta the black and into the white.
Self Service is now back to normal.

rmanly
Contributor III

awesome find snook!

I had the same thought of playing with the CSS files etc. but only tried changing colors etc for values that were already specified.

Nice Work!

Cem
Valued Contributor

If I apply this, will 10.5 and 10.6 clients still be able to use the Self Service as before? I don't want to fix one thing for 10.7.4 then break it for the other clients...

rmanly
Contributor III

@Cem I don't have an older patch-level machine sitting around so I can't test it to be 100% sure of the answer to your question, but fyi the black box bug can happen in 10.6.x if you fully update Safari.

Cem
Valued Contributor

Thanks for this snook!
I have tested 10.6 and 10.7 clients all working fine... I don't have an access to 10.5 Mac but it should work too.

marktaylor
Contributor

Thanks snook for this fix :-)

Eggsabyte
New Contributor II

Holy Cow! Thanks so much for your help.

Matt

martin_rausch
New Contributor

Looks like this has been fixed in casper 8.6