Self Service on Dock

jchirino
New Contributor

Good afternoon,

After we install the JAMF package on a Mac, it installs the Self Service App in Applications. We want to show the Self Service App in the dock everytime a user logs in. Basically, we created a policy that would show the dock at the end of the dock and made it apply the policy ongoing every time a user logs in. The issue that is happening is that it is loading random dock items upon a user first logging in. After a user logs out and back in, then it properly loads. Does anyone else experience this issue? Thank you.

9bd5afc94b7148c8a9ad192694935527
b1e472ee953241fbaa23f9dc37a174f5
74f022559c864679bf180159120de5f1
b667c9f9961d4a87a23fb5ede600a0f6

4 REPLIES 4

DouglasWard-IA
New Contributor III

Yes, same issue, and I'm scratching my head.

—Douglas

JBoal
New Contributor

are you missing talking marks at beginning at end of file location that you need due to "self service" having a space?

bartlomiejsojka
Contributor
Contributor

Your Path definitely lacks a recommended %20 space–escaping, however it is still unlikely it has anything to do with your issue. The three are probably iWork apps from the default Dock template that Jamf's Dock feature incorrectly recreates, because — at the time of the first run of your policy — user's .plist doesn't exist yet.

That being said, I've personally ditched the feature a long time ago and use dockutil all the time with great success and unmatched control. Even though it appears to be not maintained anymore, Dock haven't really changed much, so the OS compatibility is great. I recommend you to check it 👍🏼

RJH
Contributor

I have seen several posts similar to this with syntax issues etc., and my recommendation is always the same. In brief, use JAMF ADMIN to manage this process, which alleviates any need to worry about the syntax/path etc. Its simple and from past experience, works every time. - On an enrolled test mac with JAMF Admin tools installed, drag the (branded) Self Service app to your dock. - Run JAMF Admin, and use the "Add Dock Items" option and save/exit, which then adds into jamf, and you can deploy it via the JAMF Policy - Dock items payload. @jchirino I am curious if that resolves the strange behaviour you are seeing.

f9bf6666ab5b4120b224f80c5a436b58