Self Service on iOS devices without Apple IDs

timlings
Contributor

So, in iOS9 it is possible to install apps on iOS devices without Apple IDs.

I was wondering how the Self Service app would work that? Currently we use DEP, and then once the setup screen is completed, it prompts to have an AppleID entered before installing the self service app. But if I were to assign apps to devices in the JSS, rather than an Apple ID, how would I get Self Service installed?

Anyone tried to do this?
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

timlings
Contributor

Ok, here's how I did it:
1. 'Purchased' licences for 'Self Service Mobile' from VPP for use with Managed Distribution
2. Added the app 'Self Service Mobile' on the JSS, making sure that I ticked the box 'Assign VPP Content' under 'VPP'.
3. According to https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=370, added in the relevant information under 'App Configuration'
4. Scoped it to the device I wanted.

On the device, it did initially ask for an Apple ID for Self Service to be installed (as that's still the default setting on our JSS), but I then tapped cancel. The self service app then downloaded automatically without me putting in an Apple ID.

Very much liking this!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

timlings
Contributor

Ok, here's how I did it:
1. 'Purchased' licences for 'Self Service Mobile' from VPP for use with Managed Distribution
2. Added the app 'Self Service Mobile' on the JSS, making sure that I ticked the box 'Assign VPP Content' under 'VPP'.
3. According to https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=370, added in the relevant information under 'App Configuration'
4. Scoped it to the device I wanted.

On the device, it did initially ask for an Apple ID for Self Service to be installed (as that's still the default setting on our JSS), but I then tapped cancel. The self service app then downloaded automatically without me putting in an Apple ID.

Very much liking this!

AlistairCarr
New Contributor II

@timlings

Could you expand on this please?

Is it uploading a fake spreadsheet?

Also,

On the device, it did initially ask for an Apple ID for Self Service to be installed (as that's still the default setting on our JSS), but I then tapped cancel.

Where would i locate that setting in the JSS?

We're just starting on the mobile device side and I'm a bit rust on the config.

Thanks in advance