We have an issue with new devices at the moment in that once Self Service has installed itself and we launch, we are only presented with the Self Service splash screen "Welcome to JAMF Self Service..... Contact your IT administrator for more information"
We've also seen a small number of devices show up the error "The required managed settings were not received from the server."
We've checked with JAMF support and they are advising that we do not have the correct APNS ports open, but we have these open and all is working.
We have changed Self Service so that installs via VPP, and have also setup the App Configuration settings as per the following KB article; https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/370/manually-deploying-jamf-self-service-for-ios
We've updated to JAMF 10.3.1-t1522933524 and removed self service and reinstalled, but get the same issues.
Most devices are on iOS 11.3 or 11.3.1
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I've been in contact with Jamf support - the support technician seems to think this is a known issue where the user of a device launches self-service before the managed app configuration is installed to tell the self-service app to re-direct to the jamf-pro server.
The Jamf technician said the current workaround is to wait 5 minutes to launch the app or wait until the "Managed App Configuration" completes for the device.
However, this issue seems to be present on devices I didn't touch for up to 48 hours - after confirming a few app installs.
I've just tested this workaround on a new device. It has not worked for me - but I thought I'd share this information in the hopes it may help someone else.
The issue happened for some of our customers who had it running untouched a long time (half year or more).
After looking into 3-4 servers, I noted that all affected servers showed the app configuration xml in the Jamf Pro Server as only 3-4 lines. It looks like a newline/linebreak thing. We have not seen the issue on servers, where the app configuration xml has each xml key on a separate line.
Changing / renewing the app configuration xml with a new copy/paste from https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/370/manually-deploying-jamf-self-service-for-ios
fixed the problem on the first server where we tried it.
AFAIK if you copy/paste with firefox, it might end up without the correct line breaks, putting the xml in just 3-4 lines.
Copy/Paste using Safari or Chrome has shown to be better.
My speculation is that some change on Jamfs side for the current versions got more picky on the xml being correctly formatted.
But this is just observation and speculation. Still you guys might give it a try and report back to confirm or deny 😉
Thanks for the information, both of you. Andreas, I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to the xml being a little more picky. I actually did the opposite of billystanton, and added the "/" at the end of our jamf server url after looking at https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/370/manually-deploying-jamf-self-service-for-ios.
Big thanks! This worked like a charm.