self service one touch deploy macOS Catalina

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I create the following command in the 'files and processes' and get the following result. Same command used in the zero one touch deployment instruction. anyone see something wrong?

Running command '/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall' --agreetolicense --forcequitapps...

Result of command:
/bin/sh: /Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall: No such file or directory

7 REPLIES 7

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Unless you double quote the path, you need to escape the spaces with a preceding

"/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --agreetolicense --forcequitapps
-or-
/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --forcequitapps

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@tcandela Did you download "Install macOS Catalina.app" via the Mac App Store? If yes, is the full 8.23GB installer, or the smaller "stub" version Apple sometimes pushes through the MAS? If the latter I don't believe it's appropriate for scripted installs

hrhnick
New Contributor III

Check out https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install
It will handle downloading the OS installer and installing it, all while keeping your user tech informed of the process through Jamf helper popups.

Edit: Despite the name, it also handles upgrades!

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Yes I did all that downloaded , had everything in the applications folder but it was stupidity on my end. For some reason the restriction was still being applied to this particular computer, my restriction has it set to delete the installer. I didn't realize when I ran the policy again from self service that the installer was removed from the applications folder.

So I reapplied the policy to put it back into the applications folder and everything is fine.

It's just hard to tell if the restriction was lifted. is there a way to tell? I simply just add the computer to the exclusions.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Don't restrict Install macOS Catalina.app, restructured the process InstallAssistant instead. That prevents the user from running the app, but not the script from calling startosinstall.

To force the restrictions to update, run a jamf manage after adding computer to the exclusions list.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@sdagley i didn't know that jamf manage and not jamf recon forces the restrictions to update.

I restrict Catalina until i talk with the user and explain to them about 32 bit applications , and we go over what applications they use.

I'm confused about what this InstallAssistant is your talking about?
I have restrict Install macOS Catalina.app,

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@tcandela InstallAssistant is the process macOS installers run to display the GUI. Block that and the user can't run the installer directly, but your policy can still run startosinstall