Self Service Scoping

macboy
Contributor

I am new to self service and experimenting with it. I cannot seem to figure out how to scope the delivery of the self service app to just certain machines in the JSS. Is there a way to do this? I can see how to scope the policies but I don't want all my machines to get the actual self service application. Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

So, just curious, but is there a reason you don't want all your Macs to get the Self Service app? It doesn't do anything until the Mac is added to the scope of a policy set up as a SS item, and even then, its up to the end user to do something, so there's no real harm in having it on there.

That said, if you want to deploy it to select machines, here's what you'd need to do.

a) In your JSS, go to "Settings > Computer Management Framework Settings > Self Service".
b) In there under the Installation tab, you'll see a description explaining that you can download the Self Service app with a "here" link. Click that to download a tar.gz file containing the SS application.
c) Unpack it, then drop it into your /Applications folder or wherever you want it to get deployed to.
d) Wrap it up into either a PKG or DMG in Composer and upload it to Casper Admin
e) Add it into a policy that deploys it to whichever Macs or group of Macs scoped to that policy.

Oh, almost forgot to mention - Under the same Self Service / Installation tab as above, you'll want to make sure the "Automatically install Self Service on all enrolled computers" is unchecked, or else all of the above steps will be for naught.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

So, just curious, but is there a reason you don't want all your Macs to get the Self Service app? It doesn't do anything until the Mac is added to the scope of a policy set up as a SS item, and even then, its up to the end user to do something, so there's no real harm in having it on there.

That said, if you want to deploy it to select machines, here's what you'd need to do.

a) In your JSS, go to "Settings > Computer Management Framework Settings > Self Service".
b) In there under the Installation tab, you'll see a description explaining that you can download the Self Service app with a "here" link. Click that to download a tar.gz file containing the SS application.
c) Unpack it, then drop it into your /Applications folder or wherever you want it to get deployed to.
d) Wrap it up into either a PKG or DMG in Composer and upload it to Casper Admin
e) Add it into a policy that deploys it to whichever Macs or group of Macs scoped to that policy.

Oh, almost forgot to mention - Under the same Self Service / Installation tab as above, you'll want to make sure the "Automatically install Self Service on all enrolled computers" is unchecked, or else all of the above steps will be for naught.

macboy
Contributor

Thanks for the quick answer. Exactly what i was looking for. Wish it was easier though and there was way to scope the self service to particular machines. As the answer to your question is two fold. One is that i would love to just test it on a test box without anyone seeing it in their application folder. Secondly I dont want people to have it that wont have any of the applications or policies. It will only make them curious and wonder. Just be best sometimes they dont know what the possibilities are and would stop any questions of "what is this?" Wonder if Jamf can make that a feature?

frozenarse
Contributor II

Two quick things.

1. I love how Mike answered your question even though his own opinion is to have it available on all computers. I get frustrated sometimes when I see people only offer their own preferred way of doing things. Well done Mike!

2. I believe Mike's suggestion will get you what you want. You just need to setup a group (preferably a smartgroup) of machines that you want to have the Self Service app. Then you create a policy scoped only to that group that will install the Self Service package.