Self Service

MacJunior
Contributor III

Hey guys 

just curious to know what do you offer to install/use from Self Service .. need some inspiration.

Thanks in advanced

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MacJuniorwhat kind of inspiration do you need?
You can provide all apps and for example printers, too, you are using in your company with the self service.app. Easy spoken, all that you want, that the user can install himself and without needing of your support.

KFA84
New Contributor

I think common applications, bookmark to general internal/external company websites, Self Healing scripts/items for different scenarios etc...

It really depends on your business needs and way of support you are providing to your users.

MacJunior
Contributor III

i'm already provding the most common apps that can use used in our org, was thinking if there is something really nice and beneficial to provide ( like self-healing tools as @KFA84 mentioned ).

Anonymous
Not applicable

our employees are thankful because of the possibility to configure their printer at the printer system on their Macs with one click. We roll out the printer and the extended setup for it, like what kind of paper tray and finisher and so on. And we roll out the recommened links to our intranet. The new Mac users are thankful for that and the older one do not use the self service.app, because in their opinion, they are "seniors" and so they do not need any support from their boring IT-Service :) 

kavila
New Contributor III

We allow and encourage our end users to install and update all of the necessary software we require from self-service. We're not using anything highly technical or requiring licensing so it's pretty straightforward on our end. We find that this promotes better tech competency in the workplace and empowers our users. Obviously, this is all anecdotal. 

tculkin
New Contributor III

We have setup some Smart Groups and scripts that list all software updates if the user isn't updated on applications like Chrome or Zoom so they can get it that way before we push. Also we have written scripts that can be used to fix issues, like clearing systems cache or resetting the Dock.  Plus, some configurations that some people want for some applications. We have a script that we use to refresh their JAMF, recon, policy and manage running while killing some services.  
Of course, the applications and drivers. 

MacJunior
Contributor III

Thank you all for your reply,  may I ask how you handle updates via Self Service? I mean do you upload pkgs or use scripts? do you have those updates in a specific category/section in Self Service? 

Also would it be possible to share those scripts that fix system issues?

tculkin
New Contributor III

Depends on the application on what to use for Self Service. For some applications, we can download the latest from their repositories and use scripts. Others we upload packages using AutoPkgr.  
For the updates it's usually a script that will kill the service and then run the policy that has the installer. 
The Clearing System Caches is not a script, it's just using the built-in maintenance policy in JAMF.  For the others, I write the scripts when we get calls from the helpdesk on issues, review how we resolve them then create scripts that will automate the process.  I've been doing mac system support for over 20 years, so you find what works over time. The more you can automate, the more you can resolve quicker.