Seperate instances of Self Service

sietsemaeri
New Contributor III

Is it possible to have 2 different instances of Self service, ex one for High School and one for k-6?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@sietsemaeri No need to apologize at all, we were all "a month into using JSS" at some point ourselves, and this list/community is how we get through it.

You can definitely scope the way that you have shown. I have some policies scoped that way myself. I use Smart Groups out of habit, I guess.

The way you have shown should work fine for what you need/want to do.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@sietsemaeri Not that I'm aware of, however you can accomplish this by using groups to scope Self Service items to only those that need it.

You can use the fields in the User & Location tab of a device record to indicate that a device is High School or K-6, then create a Smart Group to pick out the devices for each, and finally scope your Self Service policies based on these groups.

sietsemaeri
New Contributor III

@stevewood thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look, and see if that will work for my situation.

Thanks

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, Self Service is just an app, it doesn't contain any policies or whatnot. Everything it does is served up by the JSS, so the JSS controls what the system or user can do.

sietsemaeri
New Contributor III

@stevewood with scoping the service policies are you talking about

mobile users > apps>(example a)>scope>target>department ??

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@sietsemaeri I'm talking about a multi-step process. I'm assuming you are deploying iPads and not computers in this example, but it's the same for computers.

• For each device pick one of the fields on the User And Location tab, and enter some sort of identifying text to place in that field. I know you used Derpatment in your comment, however I'm using the Room field so I do not have to edit my JSS. For K-6 I might use "K6" and for High School use "HS". Keeps it simple so you're not having to deal with "special characters" in the name:

optional image ALT text

• Now create a Smart Mobile Device Group that looks for devices with that Room:

optional image ALT text

• Finally, go to the app/items you want in Self Service and scope to that group.

Does that make sense?

cmarker
Contributor

This could be a good use case for Sites too. Separate site for each.

sietsemaeri
New Contributor III

@stevewood yes i have the criteria set like yours in the picture about, I was looking at an app, and then scoping it to that department.
Sorry if it sounds simple i am a month into using JSS aed7a011f6324eda9ad177f68651cb9a

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@sietsemaeri No need to apologize at all, we were all "a month into using JSS" at some point ourselves, and this list/community is how we get through it.

You can definitely scope the way that you have shown. I have some policies scoped that way myself. I use Smart Groups out of habit, I guess.

The way you have shown should work fine for what you need/want to do.

sietsemaeri
New Contributor III

@stevewood Thanks, now I just need the ipads to test it out, were adding 240 for elementary and im trying to be a step ahead.