Set QuickTime Player as Default Video Player

smallchange
New Contributor III

Hi All! Any recommendations you might have on this would be appreciated. Disclaimer, I haven't pulled out all the stops on testing this, just looking to see if anyone has a quick solution.

Is there a way to set QuickTime as the default video playback application on client devices via Jamf, through Configuration Profiles or Policy? Or really any method.

I have tried using the custom App payload in the configuration profiles, but I am a noob when it comes to json and plists. I can't even find the proper .plist or preference .plist that is setting Apple TV as the default. Along those lines, any resources on how to utilize that payload would be fantastic :)

Any ideas are appreciated! Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smallchange
New Contributor III

Just following up on this for anyone who may be interested. I ended up getting this to work via Configuration Profile (Application & Custom Settings).

I configured a payload with the com.apple.LaunchServices preference domain, and then uploaded the PLIST illustrated below. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>LSHandlers</key>
    <array>
      <dict>
        <key>LSHandlerContentTag</key>
        <string>public.movie</string>
        <key>LSHandlerContentType</key>
        <key>LSHandlerRoleAll</key>
        <string>com.apple.quicktimeplayer</string>
      </dict>
    </array>
  </dict>
</plist>

Deployed the configuration profile to my fleet, and voila, videos default to opening with QuickTime, rather than Apple TV.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@smallchange I can't offer any guidance on using it, but you might want to take a look at https://github.com/Lord-Kamina/SwiftDefaultApps (it has a Command Line Interface so you could deploy it to a Mac and then call the CLI via script to change the default app for a video file type)

EDIT: Here's an article that shows some examples of using the SwiftDefaultsApp script interface: https://aporlebeke.wordpress.com/2020/07/16/configuring-a-macs-default-apps-for-different-file-types...

smallchange
New Contributor III

I will try this out in my dev instance, and let you know how it goes. Thank you @sdagley

Hi @RachelGomez1619 Rachel,

I appreciate the advice, I am aware of this option for changing the default video player on a single device.

My question was more related to deploying QuickTime via Jamf Pro to large amounts of devices. I am looking to avoid having my techs going from machine to machine to make this change, especially since we use Deep Freeze which wipes any changes made on the machine upon reboot.

I figured there would be a straight forward way to do this at scale, but I am having trouble finding a solution. I have tried making a package with Composer that captures the changes made to preference plist files when I make the change you suggested. I am just assuming that these preferences exist in file form somewhere. I can't find the preference domain for QuickTime, or for any .mobileconfig / plist files that I could modify.

@sdagley haven't had a chance to take a look at your suggestion yet, hoping that offers a solution forward.

Thanks Again

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@smallchange Here's an article that provides some examples of using the script interface for SwiftDefaultsApp: https://aporlebeke.wordpress.com/2020/07/16/configuring-a-macs-default-apps-for-different-file-types...

smallchange
New Contributor III

Just following up on this for anyone who may be interested. I ended up getting this to work via Configuration Profile (Application & Custom Settings).

I configured a payload with the com.apple.LaunchServices preference domain, and then uploaded the PLIST illustrated below. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>LSHandlers</key>
    <array>
      <dict>
        <key>LSHandlerContentTag</key>
        <key>LSHandlerContentType</key>
        <key>LSHandlerRoleAll</key>
        <string>com.apple.quicktimeplayer</string>
      </dict>
    </array>
  </dict>
</plist>

Deployed the configuration profile to my fleet, and voila, videos default to opening with QuickTime, rather than Apple TV.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@smallchange Be aware that using a Configuration Profile to apply a setting makes it immutable, so if you don't want your users to be able to select a different app that'll work. If you were looking to set the default, but still allow users to change, then the scripted approach with SwiftDefaultsApp would be the way to go.

smallchange
New Contributor III

We are enforcing QuickTime since these particular machines are shared Macs utilized by digital media students working with Adobe, but will keep that in mind for some of our other users who may want the option to switch defaults. Thanks @sdagley !