Setting app to autostart/logon objects

Franky779
New Contributor III

Hi all,

i am installing a security Appstore app (Tailscale) by default profile. I want this app to be started at login. Therefore mac has settings -> logon objects. How can i add an app to this via policie?

Have a nice week

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SCCM
Contributor III

on the policy itself just change the trigger to login and the execution frequency to ongoing.

the setting to enable login hooks on all your machines is found under settings > computer management > checkin
You want to enable check the login "check for policies triggered by login" you also might want to enable "check for policies triggered by startup" in case you want to use that later.
You might want to test these settings out of hours if they have not been enabled in the past as they will effect all machines, not just the ones you scope to your new policy.
they shouldn't effect machine logins, but its better to check before had just incase you have some other policies set with the trigger.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SCCM
Contributor III

Never used the app, but if you search the forum there are a few ways to open apps in general on login, depending on what context you need it opened:
Solved: Open application via SS - Jamf Nation Community - 125277
How to create a policy to run an application? - Jamf Nation Community - 168656
You could even create a config profile with a app auto start key if the app supports it

Franky779
New Contributor III

Hi, 

thanks for your reply. I did use the search but didn´t find what i was looking for. I couldn´t find any option in policies which defines autostart objects.

I followed the example from your link.

#!/bin/sh
su -l $(ls -l /dev/console | awk '{print $3}') -c 'open -a /Applications/Tailscale.app'

Its kinda working wenn i run "sudi jamf policy -verbose but i want it to run on login. There is a tooltip in Jamf pro which says:

"When a user logs in to a computer. A login event that checks for policies must be configured in Jamf Pro for this to work"

How do i create a loginevent to check policies?

Frank

SCCM
Contributor III

on the policy itself just change the trigger to login and the execution frequency to ongoing.

the setting to enable login hooks on all your machines is found under settings > computer management > checkin
You want to enable check the login "check for policies triggered by login" you also might want to enable "check for policies triggered by startup" in case you want to use that later.
You might want to test these settings out of hours if they have not been enabled in the past as they will effect all machines, not just the ones you scope to your new policy.
they shouldn't effect machine logins, but its better to check before had just incase you have some other policies set with the trigger.

Franky779
New Contributor III

Perfect. Thats what i needed. We don´t have any policy yet with login. Only my new one with a single computer in scope.