Setting the 'user info' in MS Word 2016?

Not applicable

Hi all Can I integrate the 'sign-in helper' with the office configuration profile? ... so once the user signs in.... everything will be implemented.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

Not sure what the 'sign-in helper' is.

This shell script will populate the MeContact.plist information for a user from Active Directory. This is the information displayed in Excel, PowerPoint and Word when choosing Preferences > User Information.

https://gist.github.com/58f126bf3b6aab2a1471f23cbef74f4e

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

talkingmoose

Not sure what the 'sign-in helper' is.

This shell script will populate the MeContact.plist information for a user from Active Directory. This is the information displayed in Excel, PowerPoint and Word when choosing Preferences > User Information.

https://gist.github.com/58f126bf3b6aab2a1471f23cbef74f4e

Not applicable

@talkingmoose thank you. I will try this route.

@talkingmoose On a unrelated note- is there a way that when a user launches outlook - it defaults to exchange account?

talkingmoose

The first account added to Outlook becomes the default account. However, if the user has other Exchange or IMAP accounts, messages will send from the account that's currently selected (clicked into). That's Outlook's behavior and can't be changed.

Not applicable

@talkingmoose Thank you

Not applicable

@talkingmoose Why is that when i try run the script from github into my terminal for (testing purposes), it says its 'setting' everything - but when I launch Word User Info.......nothing is populated?
what am I doing wrong?
78695d2d693646918830c5adba4c5ae0

talkingmoose

@vferra, are you running the script without any of the Office apps running?

Not applicable

c3e06a49d83442388dc4dc36569309d8
@talkingmoose no... i close everything - run the script - wait 5 minutes - then open MS Word.. I also got a success when being pushed thru CASPER
I must be doing something wrong....

is it cuase we are still running on JAMF 9.100?

talkingmoose

Hmm...

Run these three lines in Terminal one at at time:

currentUser=$( /usr/bin/stat -f "%Su" /dev/console )
currentUserHome=$( /usr/bin/dscl . read "/Users/$currentUser" NFSHomeDirectory | /usr/bin/awk 'BEGIN {FS=": "} {print $2}' )
meContact="$currentUserHome/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/MeContact.plist"
echo "$meContact"

What do you get after running the last command? It should look something like:

/Users/talkingmoose/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/MeContact.plist

Not applicable

yup
i get that

talkingmoose

Based on your policy log, looks like the policy is running as a-vferra, but setting the information for vferra. Are you currently viewing the vferra account?

Not applicable

@talkingmoose I think its the JSS version we are on...we are not up to date.... we are still running on 9.100.
This may explain why some things work and others do not. I'm pretty sure all the scripts and everything you gave me work, but the reaxon they are not working for me is cause the version mismatch.

The user info script works perfect cause when I pushed it to 2 test machines - it worked
but when I try other test machines.... nothing happens - and this sort of 'ON & OFF' thing happens with other aqpps

We are updating to JAMF Pro in a few weeks.
Ill keep you posted if I need any help on other stuff.

thank you for everything in teaching me

Not applicable

@talkingmoose hope all is well ......
If I run your 'MS Word user info' script locally thru my terminal...shouldnt it work and input the fields in MS Word?
I am also using a script program called 'CodeRunner' to test out my scripts.
I am also on the newest 16.14.1 office suite.
is there something im doing wrong?

talkingmoose

@vferra, you're not giving me much to go on. Yes, it should work.

The script gives you feedback telling you what it's doing each step of the way. As it runs, it should tell you:

Currently logged in user: <your username>.
Currently logged in user's home folder path: <path to your home folder>.
NetBIOS Domain: <your DOMAIN>.
Setting Address: <your address if populated in AD>
Setting Company: <your company name if populated in AD>

And more as it proceeds.

Where is it failing?

Not applicable

@talkingmoose Sorry about that...I attached a photo of what the output looks like when i run the script in coderunnere3b40a3ed4af48a989e428ca2471c357

Suggestions?

EdLuo
Contributor II

@vferra You will need to run /usr/bin/defaults writes... with sudo if running with coderunner.

Not applicable

@EdLuo ok..thanks

ill try to run it in terminal then...

talkingmoose

You shouldn't need to use sudo at all if running this command while logged as the current user. You only need sudo if you're changing something on your computer that the current account doesn't have privileges to change. The current account has full privileges over its own home folder.

In fact, if you run this command using sudo and the file doesn't exist already, it will be owned by root and probably inaccessible to the current user.

What result does listing ownership and permissions reveal?

/bin/ls -hal "/Users/vferra/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/MeContact.plist"

It should be:

-rw------- 1 vferra staff

EdLuo
Contributor II

@talkingmoose Thanks for the correction. I should of put more thought into this. Was just a quick response from me thinking that JSS runs scripts with root privilege vs terminal / coderunner as logged in user.

Not applicable

@talkingmoose correct.. i get this:

-rw------- 1 vferra PVHCORPDomain Users 268B Jun 27 13:21 /Users/vferra/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/MeContact.plist

talkingmoose

@vferra, at this point I'm at a loss as to why you can't write to that file.

All the other commands to gather information about the user and from Active Directory appear to be working just fine. For some reason, the script doesn't like writing either to that MeContact.plist file or somewhere along the path to that file.

I was able to recreate the error message from your screenshot, but only by changing ownership to the file and denying my account access to it. Somewhere, you have a permissions issue.

Not applicable

@talkingmoose hmmm....I believe you are correct
Thank you for all your help.