Setting up a jamfpro test enviroment

Dperk
New Contributor III

Does anyone have any guides within the past 3 years for getting the dev environment setup for jamf pro? Everything i find online is from 2016-18 and rather outdated. I want to test the LAPS but dont want to enable it in prod incase pulling the password doesnt work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Ask jamf. You can get a test cloud instance 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sgiesbrecht
Contributor III

I use test workstations in prod and always use to test any changes before doing the next step
Alpha = the test workstations in IT only.  If no issues, goes to Beta stage
Beta = selected few people that are somewhat compute savvy.  If no issues from users, goes to Global
Global = goes to requires workstations / MacBooks

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Ask jamf. You can get a test cloud instance 

jtrant
Valued Contributor

It would be awesome if Jamf provided a dummy database as they do with the training classes. It's quite a lot of work to populate an empty database with test devices.

You can use the Jamf Migration tool to import stuff from your prod environment over to your test. It is really easy! https://github.com/jamf/JamfMigrator 

Dperk
New Contributor III

Thank, ill deff give that a go once we get the test environment, i reached out to our rep and they got me in contact with the team that can spin up the instance. 

Dperk
New Contributor III

Marking this the solution, because they are able to get me the instance without any hassle. 

foobarfoo
Contributor

We had faith in this particular feature (apart from that we've actually forgot the static admin password). So we enabled it in prod. We have a pretty large environment and this works like a charm for us. But yes, if we had a need for these passwords more often than very rarely, the current state where you need to query the API for it would be pretty cumbersome.

Dperk
New Contributor III

Someone last week made a neat little GUI to get the passwords that i very eagery want to try out. Hopefully i can get it working with the test, but im glad to hear that its working good in prod. Did you do all the changes directly from the API?