Shared iPad Setup and iCloud Drive

RLR
Valued Contributor

Does anyone have any information on how Shared iPad mode works with iCloud. I was under the impression that work and projects are synced to iCloud so that user can sign into a different iPad and carry on with their work. I'm finding the Photos (gallery) is automatically syncing to iCloud and follows the user around. But other apps like Explain Everything and Pic collage don't upload to iCloud. They seem to be local only so this data is cleared when they are removed from the iPad as a recent user.

Do I need to enable anything to force apps to automatically sync to iCloud? Or do the users needs to manually save their work to iCloud each time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RLR
Valued Contributor

Just in case anyone else comes across this. It seems each app requires an XML config to sync straight to iCloud.

Explain Everything:

<key>SharediPads</key>
<true/>

Book Creator:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<managedAppConfiguration>
    <version>21</version>
    <bundleId>com.redjumper.mystorybook</bundleId>
    <dict>
        <boolean keyName="enableCloudSync">
            <defaultValue>
                <value>0</value>
            </defaultValue>
        </boolean>
    </dict>
</managedAppConfiguration>

Need to find others.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

The app has to support auto-saving to iCloud for this to work the way you want. Contact the developer and request this!

RLR
Valued Contributor

Is there anyway of knowing if the app supports auto save to iCloud? I would have though Explain Everything would already have this feature.

This post from 2016 suggests is should already download projects from iCloud:
https://explaineverything.com/coming-soon-explain-everything-version-1-70-for-ios/

I can see there is an "Optimised for Shared iPads" on the VPP page. Not sure what the issue might be.

RLR
Valued Contributor

Just in case anyone else comes across this. It seems each app requires an XML config to sync straight to iCloud.

Explain Everything:

<key>SharediPads</key>
<true/>

Book Creator:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<managedAppConfiguration>
    <version>21</version>
    <bundleId>com.redjumper.mystorybook</bundleId>
    <dict>
        <boolean keyName="enableCloudSync">
            <defaultValue>
                <value>0</value>