Shared Use iPad will not stay on Wi-Fi after remotely wiping

cnelson
Contributor

I have seen this consistently now. I have an iPad in share use mode. I send the wipe command and wipe it. When I go through the setup assistant, everything seems ok (except it doesn't ask me to enable Location Services) until it restarts into Shared Use Mode and then it doesn't connect to Wi-Fi. I can't log in with any MID and I can't re-wipe it remotely either. I even tried sending it a Wi-Fi config profile to make sure it's not losing the connection thinking it might stick before it restarts.

From that point, I have to DFU the iPad and manually restore it with iTunes. Here is the interesting part. After I DFU the iPad and restore it, when I go through the setup assistant again, after Wi-Fi, it does ask me to enable Location Services and then enrolls the device and then restarts into Shared Use Mode. Once back loaded it stays on Wi-Fi and I can do as I normally would. This has happened consistently on multiple iPads. Anybody else seen this?

6 REPLIES 6

cnelson
Contributor

So far I have a workaround. I have been using Configurator to push out a blueprint that just restores the device and does an automatic enrollment into the JSS. I also downloaded some specific iOS firmware files and if you drag them onto the blueprint it restores using that particular update. So I can better control the version of iOS update to make sure new updates have been tested first.

Now the Wi-Fi has been consistently working and staying on and the process for getting Shared iPads going is so much easier. I don't have to go through the setup assistant anymore. The blueprint enrollment gets through all of that and goes straight to multi-use mode. Then the JSS starts to push out apps and settings remotely. Works great for Shared iPad use.

somnico
New Contributor III

we also have a wi-fi issue with shared ipad's:
after enrollment they don't have wi-fi access although we have a wi-fi profile. we have to wipe the devices with configurator and then accidentally we found out that if you push the homebutton twice (during the login screen of the shared ipad) another wi-fi window appears and you can connect to your wi-fi

cnelson
Contributor

Ahh! I had that happen to me once but I couldn't figure out how that Wi-Fi screen showed up. Thanks @somnico

cnelson
Contributor

Pressing the home button twice doesn't bring up Wi-Fi on iOS 9.3.5, it seems.

m_green
New Contributor III

Ditto. The pressing the home button twice does not bring up WiFi. It happened to me once as well, but I cannot get it to happen again. I also have issues getting location services enabled for shared users. Each user must also populate self service since it does not load all the apps by default. If I find any fixes I'll let you know!

I get the idea of Shared iPad, but without being able to set configurations for users as we can for devices, the shared iPad experience is proving to be rather complicated.

m_green
New Contributor III

To my knowledge this was a bug in iOS that has since been fixed.... unless you're connecting to a wifi network that does not have WPA2 encryption.

In our case many of our networks use radius authentication and therefore we have no passwords on the network. The iPad macs are in the radius database, but they will not join unless joined manually due to iOS 11's security protocol for connecting to "unsafe" networks.