Shortcut to Shared Folder

stephaniemm77
Contributor

Hey Everyone

I am working in a multiuser lab environment and I have been asked to create a shared folder space on the local machine then provide a desktop shortcut/Dock icon to this folder. What is the best way to achieve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

YanW
Contributor III

dockutil gives you more options. If you don't wanna use it, try this ↓

Settings > Computer Management > Dock items > New >

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 2.41.43 PM.png

Go to Policies

Add Dock items > Pick Shared from the list > Add

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 2.43.26 PM.png

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

stephaniemm77
Contributor

I tried Creating a new dock item within JAMF Pro, but for some reason I keep getting a folder with a question mark on the OS sideScreenshot 2023-03-14 at 9.13.33 AM.png

Dock items in Jamf Pro doesn't work very well from my experience. We install dockutil on all of our Macs: https://github.com/kcrawford/dockutil

I have a script rolling when a Mac is enrolled. That sets up the "Standard Dock layout" for our users. 

From here, if I want to add things to users dock I use a script "addtoDock". For example when deploying a new app or when adding a new folder to the Dock: https://github.com/mvdbent/setDock 

Which you can read more about here: https://appleshare.it/posts/use-dockutil-in-a-script/ 

Yeah, I just simply want to deploy one shortcut on 5 desktops, I kinda feel like the jamf solution should work. we dont do much custom docks the students can customize the way they want with the applications they use. 

Yeah, in that case I'd only deploy dockutil package and use the last script "addtoDock", since it's very easy for users to remove the item from the dock after the policyscript run. through Jamf dock setting, users won't be able to remove the folder

exactly what I want in this case, not to be able to remove it.

Ok, thought you didn't want to manage the docksettings. My guess is that the address you've entered has the wrong path. Says "Untitled" but my guess is you need to change Type: Folder and path to /Users/Shared/

Untitled is the name of the MacHD, when it was wiped the person did not rename it. I tried changing it to folder, but got the same result. I have tried just about every combination possible 😩

Try like this:

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 16.40.04@2x.png

Unfortunately that did not work, thanks for trying to help!

YanW
Contributor III

dockutil gives you more options. If you don't wanna use it, try this ↓

Settings > Computer Management > Dock items > New >

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 2.41.43 PM.png

Go to Policies

Add Dock items > Pick Shared from the list > Add

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 2.43.26 PM.png

That worked! Any idea why it's listed as a File and not a Folder? I tried just about every combination, but never tried a file.

Don't know. I usually put an item on Dock then open Jamf Admin to add it there. This way, I don't have to figure out the path or type.