Sierra Upgrade Woes

hcgtexas
New Contributor III

Recently became the go-to for the Casper system at my company, and my first project is to make sure all of the Macs are upgraded to the latest version of Sierra.

I am following this guide: Here but running into issues. I can get the install.esd package and cache fine, but when I try to install the cached package I get the following error

Failed to copy file to the install data folder. Failed to copy /Volumes/OS X Base System/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/brtool to /OS X Install Data/brtool: The file “brtool” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.

Is this Technical Paper still the recommended process?

I have seen older threads recommending third party software, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@hcgtexas That guide is a bit out of date. Here's a couple of Jamf Nation threads that offer more current suggestions (although some people are still experiencing issues getting the installer to run reliably):
- macOS 10.12.4 upgrade via Self Service fails
- In-Place macOS Sierra Upgrade Script

stevevalle
Contributor III

This is the guide I have used to deploy upgrades via Self Service thanks to @rtrouton

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/providing-os-x-upgrades-via-caspers-self-service/

Works a treat!