Simpler packaging for standalone .app bundles?

palderco
New Contributor

I'm evaluating Casper Suite and surprised that standalone .app applications need to be packaged up. Composer seems to be based on the old days of applications installing files all over the filesystem.

But these days, the vast majority of the apps I'm interested in deploying are either .app bundles from the Mac App Store, or dmg's that just contain a .app.

Munki understands these two most common use cases and imports the packages without any further modification. (ie. the single command "munkiimport /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app" generates a dmg and imports into the repository.) Very handy for packages that have regular updates (Chrome, Firefox).

What is the most streamlined workflow for adding Applications into Casper?

4 REPLIES 4

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

you'll find munki deals with packages and app bundles in a saner way.

deploying app bundles from a dmg in casper either requires repackaging or creating a policy that includes a separate script to install the thing from the dmg. all of that is inherent in munki's design, so you decide what makes more sense for you.

personally, i find casper's workflow involves more work most of the time.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Drag the app bundle straight into the left-hand column of Composer. It'll create a new package, you can then package it as a DMG or PKG.

It's not readily obvious that you don't need to use the snapshot methods to create packages.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, it isn't too hard to use the drag and drop method, but of course the first step is to place that app in the /Applications folder so it creates the proper path when you drag it in. Also be sure you don't have an existing Source selected or it may try appending the app into that previous Source.

But, generally I would agree there should be a better way to handle such simple apps than to have to bring them into Composer.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yeah some logic in the jamf binary that says something like "if mounted volume contains a .app bundle at the root level, just toss it in Applications"