Slow policies with DEPNotify 1.1.4

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Hello I have an issue with policies execution with DEPNotify, it takes a lot of time to complete using the DEPNotify-Starter script
All my policies are recurring (once per computer) and start with DEPNotify after enrollment with a single line within the array used in the main script
It simply calls a policy that only runs "jamf policy" so all the other recurring policies are being executed
If I manually run "jamf policy" from terminal - so that the same policies start - there's a huge improvement in speed (using the same test client and local distribution point)
Should I use a single line for each policy within the array in DEPNotify instead?
Am I missing something?
Many thanks for your help!
Carlo

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi The idea is to use a single policy per line so that the progress indicator means something. If you have one policy that calls a bunch of other policies there's not going to be much indication to the user that something is happening. One thing that improved performance for me was not having all of the policies in the DEPNotify array do an inventory update, just the last one.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@sdagley thank you! I agree the "single policy" workflow does not show the actual progress but for now I was just trying to see if I could re-use my current recurring policies as they are (without duplicating them and/or assigning all of them a custom event/trigger)
The History/Policies logs for the test client in the JSS shows how long it takes for each to complete and - although eventually they all do fine - it takes huge amount of time for some of them with no apparent reason (e.g. Install VLC Player.dmg - 25m 18s - Completed)
I'll try adding them one by one...

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi Not that it'd explain the discrepancy between completion times between the DEPNotify workflow and directly executing the policy, but have you enabled HTTPS downloads for your distribution point(s)? (If you use on-premises distribution point(s)) That provides a major performance increase over SMB/AFP connections.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@sdagley hello and thank you for your hint. It seems I had some issue with one of our distribution point and have to double check the server
As far as enabling https downloads, i'll try that too again although when I first enabled DPs quite a long time ago, I had mixed results
Many thanks again!