Slow Printing to Shared SMB Printer Hosted on Windows Server 2008R2

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

Here's the setup:
Computers are 10.13 or 10.14
Domain Bound
Users sign in with AD creds to create mobile accounts

We have a shared printer that links up with a papercut server. The printer is added with the below line of code:

#!/bin/sh
lpadmin -p "Printer Name" -E -v smb://server.ck.c-k.com/shareName -m "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Canon iR-ADV C7500s GX500V1.1US" -L "location of printer" -o auth-info-required=negotiate -o printer-is-shared=false

Printing works, but the user experiences a very long pinwheel before the print menu even appears on their screen to send the job. This pinwheel can take anywhere from 10-45seconds.

I enabled cups debug logging for a print job and see some of the following messages during the job send. I do not know if these are normal or not but they appear in the "error_log" so I'm assuming they're errors.

Here are some of the errors I have seen repeated in my debug logging:

[Client 16] HTTP_STATE_WAITING Closing for error 32 (Broken pipe)
[Client 1] Read: status=200, state=6
[Client 1] No authentication data provided.
[Client 1] cupsdWriteClient error=0, used=0, state=HTTP_STATE_POST_SEND, data_encoding=HTTP_ENCODING_LENGTH, data_remaining=2263, response=0x7fd36cb45c50(IPP_STATE_DATA), pipe_pid=0, file=-1
[Client 5] HTTP_STATE_WAITING Closing for error 32 (Broken pipe)
[Client 7] Read: status=100, state=6
 Print-Job ipp://localhost:631/printers/printername
[Client 7] Returning HTTP Unauthorized for Print-Job (ipp://localhost:631/printers/printername) from localhost
[Client 7] cupsdSendHeader: code=401, type="text/html", auth_type=2
WWW-Authenticate: PeerCred
 HTTP_STATE_WAITING Closing for error 32 (Broken pipe)

Very strange, this started to crop up in High Sierra and seems to happen sporadically. Office 365 apps have the worst delays, up to a minute of unresponsiveness but eventually if the user is patient enough the menus will appear and the job will go through.

We've done basic troubleshooting on this problem, resetting printing system, re-adding printers (in various ways) and inevitably the problem seems to return after some time. I assumed it was authentication problems but I'm not sure now. I wonder if this is Printer Share related (aka the Windows Server 2008 box causing the delays).

Posting just in case others have similar issues.

0 REPLIES 0