Smart Computer Group of Incorrect Management Account Passwords

Jason
Contributor II

Just curious about the possibility of this. We randomize the management account password and every so often I'll be using Casper Remote to access a system and it will fail. I'll then go in and scope a policy to reset the management account password which fixes the issue. It would be nice if I could create a smart computer group which will say if the password the JSS knows about is not working on a machine.

Does anyone have a method to do this? If not, I'll poke around some more and see if I can come up with a way.

3 REPLIES 3

jrippy
Contributor II

I would love to know this as well.

Jason
Contributor II

Just a mini-update, Reached out to JAMF Support and they didn't have a solution either. Might turn into a feature request.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hmm, tricky, I think those passwords are stored in a hashed field in the JSS. If you pull up a computer's API record, the password for the management account shows up like **
You can easily pull the management account name with the API, but I don't think there's an easy way to decrypt that stored password. I'd imagine JAMF made it difficult on purpose, since the management account password is as good as knowing a root password, so it needs to stay protected for security reasons.
Unless they somehow expose that password via the API, which I highly doubt they will, it doesn't seem like this will be possible.