Smart Group for Computers with Expired Warranty

etippett
Contributor II

Has anyone been able to come up with smart group criteria for computers for which the warranty has expired? I had this working in 8.x but it seems to have broken in 9.x. My criteria is "Warranty expiration in less than x days" with a value of 0. These same criteria work fine with values of positive numbers (I have other groups for warranty expires in 90 and 365 days), but it seems the JSS doesn't know how to evaluate these criteria against warranty dates that have passed.

Thanks,
Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

frozzierox
New Contributor II

i know this is an old post, but i am coming across this issue and i wanted to help anyone new that is also looking for a solution. A workaround was recommended which works fine, while support investigates further and resolves this feature to work as intended.

the work around that was given is as follow:
1. Create one smart group that will list all the machines with a warranty date in the future.
criteria is set to "warranty expiration - in more than x days", value can be either 0 or 1.
2. Create a second smart group that will list all the machines that are not in the above smart group.
criteria is set to "computer group - not member of" and select the smart group you created above.

This will list all the machines that have a negative date as well as a blank warranty date field.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@etippett How are you getting the warranty expiry? GSX, Script or manually entered into the JSS?

etippett
Contributor II

@bentoms GSX

bentoms

@etippett There have been a number of changes made to the GSX recently & the JSS's connectivity to it.

Best bet would be to log a call with support to get the best & current advice.

etippett
Contributor II

@bentoms Yup, I'm aware of all of that. The issue isn't with getting the information from GSX into the JSS; all of that is populating just fine. The issue is with the JSS not understanding how to determine the smart group membership. I do have a case open with support, and they've said it's a defect. I wanted to check and see if anyone else had come up with any creative workarounds, though, as it seems like this would be a pretty common smart group in most people's JSS's.

Thanks,
Eric

bentoms

@etippett Oh sorry, I misread your original post.

frozzierox
New Contributor II

i know this is an old post, but i am coming across this issue and i wanted to help anyone new that is also looking for a solution. A workaround was recommended which works fine, while support investigates further and resolves this feature to work as intended.

the work around that was given is as follow:
1. Create one smart group that will list all the machines with a warranty date in the future.
criteria is set to "warranty expiration - in more than x days", value can be either 0 or 1.
2. Create a second smart group that will list all the machines that are not in the above smart group.
criteria is set to "computer group - not member of" and select the smart group you created above.

This will list all the machines that have a negative date as well as a blank warranty date field.

Hope this helps.

etippett
Contributor II

@frozzierox : Clever, thanks!

mgshepherd
Contributor

Brillant! This method helped me narrow down machines that didn't have a PO Date so I could populate them through GSX.

mgshepherd
Contributor

Brilliant! This method helped me narrow down machines that didn't have a PO Date so I could populate them through GSX.

kewal_shah
New Contributor

Does this smart group work without GSX?

HCSTech
Contributor
Contributor

Smart Group will work without GSX but the data needs to come from somewhere. So either GSX, API/MUT or Manual

shaquir
Contributor III