Smart Group for Ventura is constantly sending false-negative emails for membership changes

asiddiqui
New Contributor II

As new macOS versions/updates are released, I create a a smart group for each version. As such, I created a smart group to keep track of which Macs have Ventura installed on them. The only criteria for this smart group is that the operating system version is 13.0.0. As I've done in the past for previous smart groups, I also set up this smart group to send me email notification on membership changes.

The issue I'm having is that this smart group is CONSTANTLY sending me false-negative email notifications of Macs leaving the group and then shortly afterwards rejoining the group.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

This is most likely due to the way the macOS version is being reported in Jamf. I'm not sure which one it is, but the binary will report one way and then Declarative Device Management (DDM) will report another. Needless to say, one of the two is adding a .0 to the end of the macOS version. So instead of getting 13.0 you may get 13.0.0. Which means that you need to test for both of these cases because an inventory update by the binary or an inventory update by DDM might flip the version.

So try something like this:

CleanShot 2022-11-06 at 08.05.37.png

I don't have enough devices in a single instance to test fully, but I was able to detect my one 13.0 and 3 13.0.0 devices in the two instances I have access to.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

This is most likely due to the way the macOS version is being reported in Jamf. I'm not sure which one it is, but the binary will report one way and then Declarative Device Management (DDM) will report another. Needless to say, one of the two is adding a .0 to the end of the macOS version. So instead of getting 13.0 you may get 13.0.0. Which means that you need to test for both of these cases because an inventory update by the binary or an inventory update by DDM might flip the version.

So try something like this:

CleanShot 2022-11-06 at 08.05.37.png

I don't have enough devices in a single instance to test fully, but I was able to detect my one 13.0 and 3 13.0.0 devices in the two instances I have access to.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Also, one of our test engineers pointed out to me internally that we do have an open Product Issue (PI) for this behavior: PI110691

Also, there is this post on Jamf Nation that has a bit more information as well.