Smart Group or other ways to separate Manual and Automated Enrollments

walt
Contributor III

I would like to create a smart group that shows only Macs that were manually enrolled via email invite or via the enrollment URL.

We have a prestage for DEP devices but are finding some of these non-US region Macs do not have DEP available from the suppliers and I am creating a manual enrollment for those devices and once they are available for DEP we can move them to that prestage or refresh their device.

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@walt You can create a Smart Group with the "Enrollment Method PreStage enrollment" criteria using the "is not" operator to find out what Macs aren't in your PreStage Enrollment(s)

walt
Contributor III

hm, when I created a smart group "Manual enrollments", Enrollment Method PreStage enrollment 'is not' DEP, it does not show the manually configure or User-initiated/invite enrollments. it does exclude the DEP prestage Macs.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@walt Interesting that no PreStage Enrollment info for a Mac doesn't match that criteria, but as someone famous once said to me, there's lots of ways to shave a yak. Try this:

Create a new smart group named "DEP Enrollments", Enrollment Method PreStage enrollment 'is' DEP
Change your "Manual enrollments" smart group criteria to Computer Group 'not member of' DEP Enrollments

The "Manual enrollments" smart group will now contain any Mac that didn't match the "DEP Enrollments" criteria

walt
Contributor III

that config works, I also was able to create a smart group, criteria Enrolled via DEP is No which showed the manually enrolled Macs as well.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@walt The Enrolled via DEP criteria sounds like the better approach to shaving that yak