SmartGroup Criteria Logic

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I'm creating a Smart Group (and corresponding Policy) to update MS Silverlight plug-in.

Based on this logic:

Plug-in title HAS "Silverlight.plugin"

AND

Plug-in Version IS NOT "5.1"

(then my related Policy installs the 5.1 package at start-up)

If hypothetically MS updates Silverlight to version 6 (and my Mac users install it), and I dont update my packages and my Smart Group's logic

Will my Policy try and re-install my 5.1 package over and over again?

Im just wondering if the Smart Group is smart enough to know that SIlverlight 6 is never than Silverlight 5.1 and therefore no try to install again.

3 REPLIES 3

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Let's not talk hypotheticals. Microsoft has discontinued Silverlight so it's staying at version 5.
Why not use the specific version? 5.1.41212.0

Anyway, yes, if 5.1 is not the version it's detecting on the computer when it collects inventory the policy will continue to run b/c the computer will continue to stay in that smart group.

Let's take a step back though. What problem are you trying to achieve....

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Thanks @bpavlov

I was simplifying the example, sorry. 5.1.41105.0 is what Im running in real life. I truncated the versions shown above for the sake of make my example easier.

The lesson here is to always make sure I have the lastest version of app XXX on the JSS (along with the associated Smart Groups and Policies etc).

I didnt know MS was killing Silverlight! Im going to go have a drink!

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

If you're users have admin access then yes you may have a bad time with that. If not, it doesn't matter. Setup AutoPkgr and use it to get email notifications for the software you want to manage. Be on top of your game that way. Or take an extra step and integrate AutoPkgr into the JSS to automatically get packages uploaded along with smart groups and policies updated.