Software Update Configuration Profile

asidhu
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I am trying to understand what is this profile supposed to do? Because i have deployed it on two Mac OS X 10.13.6 computers but they don't seem to be updating even after a week. Its being used remotely so its hard for me to tell what is going on the users end. I have set it as following :

2d9a550d1ec94f94b1e065d2bda3d1ca

9 REPLIES 9

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It doesn’t actually trigger the update, it’ll just provide the user with toast notifications to update.

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

If you want a mechanism to actually force updates including the reboot look at this project, we use it for all of our estate.

https://github.com/mpanighetti/install-or-defer

asidhu
New Contributor III

@Cayde-6 That makes sense now on why its not doing anything. Quite silly to name it automatic then xD

Thank you for the link for the script. Looks like still we do not have a way to manage OS updates from Jamf itself the way we all want for example being able to defer/notify etc without using a 3rd party script. Looks like even new competitors already have such feature.

which ones should we look at for this?

russell_garriso
New Contributor III

I have searched around and can't seem to figure out if "Automatically install macOS updates" includes upgrading the version of macOS when a new major version is released. We haven't used this config profile in the past, but I am considering adding it. Does anyone know if checking that box in the profile, or even in the UI means Catalina users will get prompted to run the Big Sur installer and eventually everyone will get prompted to run the Monterrey installer? I have ways to block that, but am just wondering how that setting works. Thanks in advance for any help. 

I was told before that it only works for Updates and it seems to be true as i did deploy the same profile on Catalina and it did not get upgraded nor does it detect the upgrade in software update but on Big Sur it does keep updating it for example e.g if mac is on 11.4 and there is latest 11.6, it does detect the update. Now here is thing about the automatic updates, it will not right away update it. It needs to be connected to power, not in use and connected to Wifi if i am not mistaken. So it takes its own sweet time as there is no way to force it by the profile itself however this is supposedly changing in Monterey, as Apple will give enterprise more options.

BionicSharpie
New Contributor

Hey All, 

Has there been any progress to this topic? We are also looking at which is best way to force the automatic software updates.

Qwheel
Contributor II

Looks to be working well on Monterey - just upgraded a lab of iMacs to 12.4 unattended.

Only issue is, it breaks NoLoad login at the same time so that has to be re-applied afterwards.

szultzie
Contributor II

@Qwheel So your saying this configuration profile is all you have in pace and it updated your iMacs to 12.4 unattended?  Can you expand a little more on this? I would like to be able to do the same for my Labs. What version did your lab start with before you applied this configuration profile?

In my testing this doesn't seem to do anything at all. Including giving any toast notifications.  I have a 12.4 machine i see 12.6.1 when i run softwareupdate -l i also see an "upgrade" to Ventura in the GUI part.

I dont have any deferrals setup on this test machine.