Software updates beta - macOS updates

Christian-Mac
New Contributor

Hi community,

Here looking for feedback on this beta feature from jamf pro specifically on things that have not worked out for you upgrading macOS to Ventura 13.5.2

- I did a test on my mac but restart is not forced - anyway a restart can be forced? 

- I received the Software Update notification come in successfully on my machine and I diverted it but did not received another notification even though I set for this to occur 3 times

Your input is appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

bcrockett
Contributor III

My recommendation is to not use that as a tool for software updates.  It is still broken and has been broken for a while. 

Instead, use erase-install and nudge. Or Super. 

Jason33
Contributor III

I tested it for about a week and found that, though it would push the update, there was never a notification to the user about the update, no option for defferral, and most worryingly, no notification prior to a reboot. So, essentially, it was a silent upgrade to the user.  I did open a ticket with Jamf and they mentioned this type of behavior has been noted, and there is an internal PI for it (dont have the number offhand).  When/if they get it right, this is going to be a major improvement for managing upgrades.  I'd definitely rather rely on a tool built in to the MDM than relying on additional 3rd party tools (though they DO work effectively).