Solarwinds Discovery Agent

nav360admin
New Contributor

We use Solarwinds for asset tracking and internal support. The installation instructions have you running a command to silently install. How would that be done? I'm used to Intune allowing your to run an install command but not sure where to do that here. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

At a glance, looks like they want you to cache the package on the device. Then call the package with the command and install it that way. 

• Policy to cache the package. 
    • Make note of the path Jamf caches the package to unless you want to place it in a custom path.
  • Second policy, to run the command referenced in step 3 of the silent install instructions adding the full path to the script.
    • the command should look something like "/Library/Application Support/Jamf/Waiting Room/Solarwinds_Discovery_Agent{blah}.sh  --mode unattended"
    • I would use a files and processes payload, but you could make a script and use that payload if you wanted to. 

Their gatekeeper instructions, toss that mess in the trash. You should never be globally disabling gatekeeper for any reason. IF they are not signing their package, that is a vendor problem. However, you can use xattr to whitelist the package and allow it to run in most cases.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

At a glance, looks like they want you to cache the package on the device. Then call the package with the command and install it that way. 

• Policy to cache the package. 
    • Make note of the path Jamf caches the package to unless you want to place it in a custom path.
  • Second policy, to run the command referenced in step 3 of the silent install instructions adding the full path to the script.
    • the command should look something like "/Library/Application Support/Jamf/Waiting Room/Solarwinds_Discovery_Agent{blah}.sh  --mode unattended"
    • I would use a files and processes payload, but you could make a script and use that payload if you wanted to. 

Their gatekeeper instructions, toss that mess in the trash. You should never be globally disabling gatekeeper for any reason. IF they are not signing their package, that is a vendor problem. However, you can use xattr to whitelist the package and allow it to run in most cases.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.