Sorting out Recovery Options

forrest99
New Contributor III

I am still fairly new with Jamf and I am trying to figure out the various recovery options and when to use them.

Currently I am seeing the following four:

ConditionUnlock/Recovery Option
User activates Find My and does not turn it off before returning the device. Activation lock is enabled.

Use Activation Lock  Bypass to turn off Activation Lock

?Jamf > Computer > Inventory > Local User Accounts > scroll to the far right > Manage > Unlock account
Personal Recovery Key required to reset passwordJamf > Computer > Inventory> Disk Encryption > Personal Recovery Key 
?Jamf > Computer > Security > Recovery Lock Password

I am not sure these are all of the unlock/recovery options but I would really like to know the options and the conditions that require them.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

Nice to see how curious you're about Jamf Pro features.

Here are some basic summaries which will help you to understand the features and use of it.

1. Activation Lock Bypass:

• Condition: When a user activates Find My on a device and fails to disable it before returning the device, resulting in Activation Lock being enabled.
    • Use: Use the Activation Lock Bypass feature in Jamf to turn off Activation Lock and regain access to the device. This option allows you to remove the Activation Lock remotely.
  2. Unlocking a local user account:

• Condition: When a user account on a device is locked and access to it is required.
    • Use: In Jamf, navigate to Jamf > Computer > Inventory > Local User Accounts. Scroll to the far right and select "Manage" for the specific user account you want to unlock. Then, choose the "Unlock account" option to regain access to the account.
  3. Personal Recovery Key (PRK) for resetting password:

• Condition: When a user forgets their password and a Personal Recovery Key was previously configured for disk encryption.
    • Use: In Jamf, go to Jamf > Computer > Inventory > Disk Encryption. Locate the device and choose the "Personal Recovery Key" option. You will need to provide the PRK to reset the user's password.
  4. Recovery Lock Password:

• Condition: When a device's disk is encrypted and you need to access it using the Recovery Lock Password.
    • Use: In Jamf, navigate to Jamf > Computer > Security > Recovery Lock Password. You will find the Recovery Lock Password for the encrypted device here. This password is required to unlock the encrypted disk.

These are some of the common unlock/recovery options in Jamf, but it's worth noting that the specific options available can vary depending on the setup and configuration of your Jamf Pro instance and the devices being managed.

Hope this will clear your doubt.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

Nice to see how curious you're about Jamf Pro features.

Here are some basic summaries which will help you to understand the features and use of it.

1. Activation Lock Bypass:

• Condition: When a user activates Find My on a device and fails to disable it before returning the device, resulting in Activation Lock being enabled.
    • Use: Use the Activation Lock Bypass feature in Jamf to turn off Activation Lock and regain access to the device. This option allows you to remove the Activation Lock remotely.
  2. Unlocking a local user account:

• Condition: When a user account on a device is locked and access to it is required.
    • Use: In Jamf, navigate to Jamf > Computer > Inventory > Local User Accounts. Scroll to the far right and select "Manage" for the specific user account you want to unlock. Then, choose the "Unlock account" option to regain access to the account.
  3. Personal Recovery Key (PRK) for resetting password:

• Condition: When a user forgets their password and a Personal Recovery Key was previously configured for disk encryption.
    • Use: In Jamf, go to Jamf > Computer > Inventory > Disk Encryption. Locate the device and choose the "Personal Recovery Key" option. You will need to provide the PRK to reset the user's password.
  4. Recovery Lock Password:

• Condition: When a device's disk is encrypted and you need to access it using the Recovery Lock Password.
    • Use: In Jamf, navigate to Jamf > Computer > Security > Recovery Lock Password. You will find the Recovery Lock Password for the encrypted device here. This password is required to unlock the encrypted disk.

These are some of the common unlock/recovery options in Jamf, but it's worth noting that the specific options available can vary depending on the setup and configuration of your Jamf Pro instance and the devices being managed.

Hope this will clear your doubt.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail.

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

👍