Splitting DEP between iOS and MacOS

dooley_do
New Contributor

I am going to start to use Intune to manage iOS devices as we are very much Office 365 focused and are making more use of the features such as conditional access and integration with Lookout security.

That said we will continue to use jamf for MacOS.

Is there anyway to configure DEP differently for each OS via Apple or is this something I am going to have to do via our suppliers and by having two DEP IDs?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

rwinfie
Contributor

You can have more than one MDM server in DEP, but you will have to remove the auto assign option and all new orders will have to be manually added to the proper server

ericbenfer
Contributor III

Have fun with InTune.

Bhughes
Contributor
Posted: 7/7/17 at 7:24 AM by @rwinfie You can have more than one MDM server in DEP, but you will have to remove the auto assign option and all new orders will have to be manually added to the proper server

This is the exact issue we're running into. We had iOS in house first, with a different MDM, and it's administered via another IT tower, so we're "up the creek." Big bummer.

bstephens
New Contributor II

VPP Tokens for application deployment only support being installed on one MDM server. You will need to have a separate VPP Token for IOS apps vs Mac Apps. Apple does not support moving apps to a different VPP Token, so if you have MAC and IOS Apps on the same token you are out of luck.

dooley_do
New Contributor

Ugh, manual assignment not pretty! Shame there are no rules in there.

As for "have fun with Intune" the reality for many large orgs like ourselves is that we are 90% Microsoft and relying heavily on Microsoft cloud offerings. Intune/Office 365/EMS can solve many compliance issues for our corporate owned devices and actually for iOS there's nothing I need to do which can't be done with Intune. On the MacOS side however Intune is way off and I don't think there is any appetite from Microsoft to make it more functional.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@dooley_do

I have an apple enterprise case/feature request to allow automatic enrollment based on device type (i.e. auto enroll every Mac we order, but not iOS, or vice versa). If you are interested, and have access to enterprise support, consider putting in a ticket and mentioning my ticket #1114505806.

It's over a year old, though, and I doubt apple will do it, they don't have much incentive to as they want all devices in there.