SPSS 26 Silent deployment w/ license server configured

jlaslo
New Contributor II

Hi Folks,

We created an SPSS 26 package earlier this year and it had been working, but now it's not. Even sadder, I don't have the original package we created anymore. So I want to at least recreate as part of troubleshooting this.

I have the SS_CLIENT_26.0_MAC_OS_SILENT_M.dmg which extracts to SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin and Installer.properties.

I know we have to enter our license server in the properties file. I would really appreciate some guidance on recreating this. Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

jclements
New Contributor III

Weird that it was working and stopped. Could it be related to installed Java versions?

I'm using OpenJDK 8 without any problems.

epomelow
New Contributor III

I ran into this not too long ago. I found that it requires OpenJDK 8 and cannot use 11 right now. I created a script that is deployed via a policy in JAMF. I package the installer.bin file and deploy that to the computer, like /var/tmp. The script echos out the necessary changes to the properties file and runs it with the bin file, which performs the install. I tested it with 11, ran into it crashing and hard to go back to 8.

I just had to set the permissions of the properties file to the jamf management account on the computer.

Setup the script with parameters:
Param 4 - licenseType (mu or su)
Param 5 - lserver (hostname or ip)
Param 6 - authSerial (auth key from license portal).

Since the installer bin doesn't use the version number in it, it's version agnostic and works in v25 and v26.

#!/bin/sh

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
# SYSTEM CHECKS
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

## Get Current User
currentUser=$( /usr/bin/stat -f %Su /dev/console )

# FUNCTIONS

cleanExit() {
## Remove Script
/bin/rm -f "/var/tmp/installer.properties"
/bin/rm -f "/var/tmp/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin"
exit "$1"
}

# VARIABLES

#choose license type in parameter 4 of the script options, su for single user or mu for multiuser
#once selected, the corresponding parameter must be set
#default is to use single.

licenseType=$4
if [ "$licenseType" != "mu" ]; then licenseType=su ; fi

#License Server
lserver=$5

#Single User AuthCode

authSerial=$6

#  IBM SPSS 26 installer properties
#  
#
#  Created by eric.pomelow on 8/16/19.
#  Used to post property text and auto license spss app to either a server or a single user.

# set license based on license type for installation.
# If the license type is single user then the authcode will be appended to the top of the properties file.  If the license type is multi user then the server will be added.

if [ "$licenseType" == "mu" ]; then
echo LSHOST=$lserver > "/var/tmp/installer.properties"
else echo AUTHCODE=$authSerial > "/var/tmp/installer.properties"
fi

echo "
################################################################################

# IBM SPSS Statistics 26 silent parameter
INSTALLER_UI=silent

###############################################################################

# IBM SPSS Statistics 26   License Acceptance
#
# license acceptance for silent installers
LICENSE_ACCEPTED=true

################################################################################
#
# IBM SPSS Statistics 26 - Install Python and Python Essentials
#

InstallPython=1

#
# IBM SPSS Statistics 26 - Do Not Install Python and Python Essentials
#

#InstallPython=0

#
# IBM SPSS Statistics 26   LSHOST
#
# The IP addresses or the names of the network computer or computers on which the
# network license manager is running. One or more valid IP addresses or network
#computer names. Multiple addresses or names are separated by colons
#(for example,server1:server2:server3).
#
#

###LSHOST=

#
# IBM SPSS Statistics 26   Authorization Code
#
# The authorization code. If this property is specified, the product is authorized
# automatically using the authorization code. If this property is not specified, each
# end user must run the License AuthorizationWizard to authorize manually. One or more
# valid authorization codes. Multiple authorization codes are separated by colons (for example, authcode1:authcode2).
#
#

###AUTHCODE=<value>

#
# IBM SPSS Statistics 26 COMMUTE_MAX_LIFE
#
# Set the Number of days the commuter license can be checked out.
#
# Do not comment out this setting. It must always specify some value.
#

COMMUTE_MAX_LIFE=7

######################################
" >> /var/tmp/installer.properties

/bin/sleep 3

#set permissions for the properties file
/usr/sbin/chown JAMF_ManagementAccount '/Library/UMSChache/installer.properties'
/usr/sbin/chown JAMF_ManagementAccount 'SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin'
/bin/chmod 777 '/Library/UMSChache/installer.properties'

#check if the package extracted correctly
if [ -f "/var/tmp/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin" ]; then
echo "SPSS silent installer found, proceeding..."
'/var/tmp/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin' -f '/var/tmp/installer.properties'
else echo "SPSS was not extracted."
fi

cleanExit 0

joelsenders
New Contributor III

I'm pretty sure all you need (if you want to package it manually) is everything in /Library/Application Support/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/26 and /Applications/IBM/Statistics/26. If you make sure to configure the license server and then package those two directories up, you can just deploy it silently through Remote or a policy.

jlaslo
New Contributor II

Thank you all. It does look like there was a JDK issue.

mgshepherd
Contributor

@joelsenders Have you had any success in packaging SPSS 26 with your method for single users, not a lab environment? I have SPSS 25 packaged just as you stated in addition I run a script at the end to activate a single-user license. Works great however for the love of me I'm trying to package v26 the same way but it's not happy. It keep acting like the license is invalid. Error #7002 blah blah. Just wondering if v.26 something changed.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@jlaslo @jclements were you able to get this spss 26 silent install to work with macOS 10.15 Catalina? Mine fails because of the legacy java that i have included to install. It works with 10.13 but not with 10.14 10.15

i have java install in the same policy prior to everything else

@jclements on that link java you posted what are you choosing? jdk8u242-b08?

Dfrancia
New Contributor

@joelsenders Using composer, this worked for me and opened my eyes to other packaging methods. Thank you for sharing.

hepvd
Contributor

I had the issue to, SPSS was not registered. Opened a case with IBM and its still open for weeks. And the issue is the FixPack 001 wich breaks our licence. Had to revert back to v26.0.0

bottsc
New Contributor II

Has anyone deployed SPSS 27 yet?

byrnese
New Contributor III

I've been able to deploy SPSS 27 with the simple scripts below. It's not sophisticated but it works. I used Composer to put the installer in /private/var/tmp then use the scripts to install and activate semi-silently. The installation is silent, but activation requires the included OpenJDK to run, and its icon appears in the dock. I'm not sure if it is a limitation of the licenseactivator or my own skills.

I thought I'd share anyway, since their documentation is kind of hidden. I was able to find what I needed in the current ISO as it isn't included with the pkg:

/Volumes/SPSSStatistics/Documentation/English/InstallationDocuments/MacOS/Authorized User License Administrator's Guide.pdf

Install and Concurrent Activation

#!/bin/bash

######################################################################################
# SPSS 27 Silent Installer w/ Concurrent Licensing                                   #
# Created by Evan Byrnes (byrnese on Jamf Nation)                                    #
# Version 1.0                                                                        #
# Last Updated 2020.08.06                                                            #
######################################################################################
# Description: Installs staged version of                                            #
# SPSS 27 silently, then activates using                                             #
# the licenseactivator in  /Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics 27/Resources/Activation #
# Notes: The installation is silent, but the activation opens OpenJDK in the dock.   #
# This may be a limitation of the activator, or my own skills. Not sure which :)     #

# Silently Runs SPSS 27 PKG Install staged in /private/var/tmp
# Staging done by placing installer in /private/var/tmp then dragging tmp into 
# Composer and creating a .pkg. Deploy the .pkg via Jamf
# -verbose enabled for logging purposes
installer -verbose -pkg "/private/var/tmp/SS_CLIENT_27.0_MAC_OS_MULTILINGUA.pkg" -target /

# Change directory to Activation folder in order to run licenseactivator
cd "/Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics 27/Resources/Activation"

# Execute License Activation with license server address
./licenseactivator LSHOST=[YOUR SERVER ADDRESS HERE] COMMUTE_MAX_LIFE=7

exit 0

Install and User Activation

!/bin/bash

# SPSS 27 Silent Installer w/ User Licensing                                   #
# Created by Evan Byrnes (byrnese on Jamf Nation)                                    #
# Version 1.0                                                                        #
# Last Updated 2020.08.06                                                            #
# Description: Installs staged version of                                            #
# SPSS 27 silently, then activates using                                             #
# the licenseactivator in  /Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics 27/Resources/Activation #
# Notes: The installation is silent, but the activation opens OpenJDK in the dock.   #
# This may be a limitation of the activator, or my own skills. Not sure which :)     #

# Silently Runs SPSS 27 PKG Install staged in /private/var/tmp
# Staging done by placing installer in /private/var/tmp then dragging tmp into 
# Composer and creating a .pkg. Deploy the .pkg via Jamf
# -verbose enabled for logging purposes
installer -verbose -pkg "/private/var/tmp/SS_CLIENT_27.0_MAC_OS_MULTILINGUA.pkg" -target /

./licenseactivator [YOUR ACTIVATION CODE HERE]

exit 0

pchimombe
New Contributor III

@byrnese Thank you for the script, which version of OpenJDK are you using for SPSS 27?

cbd4s
Contributor II

@pchimombe It appears we no longer need to install the Java outside of the SPSS 27 package. The software seems to be working just fine.

epomelow
New Contributor III

I can confirm that's true too. I used to have to install Amazon Corretto 8 in order to license spss 26, but with 27, I can install using the package then run the licenseactivator.sh tool and activate it with Corretto 11 without issue.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@epomelow @cbd4s @pchimombe @byrnese Im about ready to test the spss 27 install. I do something similar to @byrnese putting installer in /private/var/tmp and will use the script ibm has in their pdf macos documentation for using user activation. Basically same couple lines as @byrnese script.
Not going to use any java jdk like with spss26.
Documentation shows no mention of java needed for silent install and @cbd4s said no java needed.

I'll let you know how it goes

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@byrnese when you entered the spss 27 activation code did you keep the brackets?

Execute License Activation with license server address

[activation code in brackets] or no brackets ?

also your notes in the short script says (below). What openJDK you talking about? I'm trying it with just the spss27.pkg and the 2 lines of code that you put up from IBM.

Notes: The installation is silent, but the activation opens OpenJDK in the dock. #

This may be a limitation of the activator, or my own skills. Not sure which :)

pchimombe
New Contributor III

@tcandela no brackets

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

just tested SPSS 27 policy on a 10.14.6 2014 MBair and it worked along with activation. No JRE used.

ewinterbourne
New Contributor III

Thanks @byrnese I am also using your script. The only difference is I install the package directly using a policy (no composer involved), followed by your script to activate - in the same policy. So I have commented out the "installer" command. We use Single License.

It might be because I am doing it this way that the ownership on the SPSS 27 directory gets messed up. So if anyone else comes across this issue, I have added a line in your script to chown recursively based on IBM's guidance. (Hope you don't mind me plagiarising your work! :D )

#!/bin/bash

# SPSS 27 Single User License Activation                                   
# Created by Evan Byrnes (byrnese on Jamf Nation)                                    
# Version 1.1                                                                        
# Last Updated 2020.08.06
# Edited by EW 5/2/2021
# activates IBM SPSS Statistics v27.0.0.0 using the licenseactivator in  /Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics 27/Resources/Activation 
# Notes: The installation is silent, but the activation opens OpenJDK in the dock.

# Ensure the ownership is correct to avoid getting the "You do not have the correct administrator privileges" error on launch
# https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/getting-warning-message-you-do-not-have-correct-administrator-privileges-when-attempting-license-spss-statistics-product-mac-os
/usr/sbin/chown -R root:admin "/Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics 27"

exit 0