Student accounts via AD cannot login to devices over WiFi

QuinnKH
New Contributor

My district has been having issues with this for years, and I'm attempting to solve it once and for all:

We have multiple Mac labs across our campuses (utilizing iMacs) that are used by multiple classes of students per day. The way this should work (as it does on our Windows devices) is that students enter their AD credentials at login, it authenticates to our WiFi, creates a mobile account (if they haven't previously logged in to that particular iMac), and pulls in their network share. 

Here's the thing: no matter what tweaks we make to our configuration profiles, the student login just times out when connected over WiFi. If we connect over ethernet, it seems to work about 60-70% of the time, but it isn't a guarantee by any stretch. The devices are bound to AD. We've worked with Jamf and they seem to think our config profiles look fine, so I'm at a loss as to what's going on here. We utilize ClearPass in our district, which some have thought could be the issue, but I don't know how that would be breaking things. 

We've been looking into Jamf Connect to solve Apple discontinuing support for Enterprise Connect; could it be leveraged to remedy this situation? I'm fairly new to Connect, so not sure how much power it has. 

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? 

1 REPLY 1

bwoods
Valued Contributor

Not sure if Jamf Connect would fix this for you. It seems like you need to start deploying system level certificates to authenticate to 802.1X.