Suggestions on finding MacOS computers

mcarvalho
New Contributor II

Hi. This is my first post, so be nice. insert laugh emoji here. The place I work at is having a hard time tracking workstations (PC and Macs). I don't have any good information on who owns a Mac. It's also part of university and different systems with at least 3 different networks. Does any admin out there have any experiences with hunting Macs on the network? I started out just dealing with new purchases but now it's time to look for existing Macs. Any suggestions or experiences would really help. Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6

bwoods
Valued Contributor

You can install Apple Remote Desktop on your mac and see all the macs on the internal LAN with Bonjour.

mcarvalho
New Contributor II

Okay. Thanks @bwoods I'll give it a shot. Right now, I'm out of the office and I'll be back on Tuesday. I'm not sure if it will work over the other 2 networks, but one step at a time. Thanks again

I would give a shot to app scanning IPs on the network aka LanScan, you can search subnets and then it'll show you hostnames and manufacturer. I think it was one of the best 6$ I've spent while being a freelancer maintaining multiple clients with multiple networks.

Yogi

Thanks for the suggestion. This one I'll have to do some research then talk with my team, networking and security.

There are plenty of similar software if this one is not good enough, some of network equipment can give you such info too if you can access it (like Ubiquiti UniFi for example).

Yogi

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

You should just bite the bullet and do a physical inventory and asset check, and then get every device into some sort of asset tracking software