Sync Cart, M1 Macbook Air and HP USB C dock - only half cart getting shared network

dlondon
Valued Contributor

We've started ramping up our iPad fleet and have set up a block of 80 for a classroom in 4 iQ 20 pclocs carts.

The carts are connected one at a time initially to an M1 Macbook Air with an HP USB-C dock which provides network access to the wired network and several USB-A ports to connect the 2 cables from the carts. The Macbook is set up to provide Internet Sharing and Content Caching via the dock to the carts

Each cart has 4 USB IQ devices - 2 at each end. I'm only seeing 1 at each end actually providing network. When I subtsitute a USB C Multiport adapter for one of those USB A cables from the cart I get both IQ devices on that end providing network.

I'm wondering if this is a bandwidth issue for the dock or a limitation on the macbook.

Our only other setup like this uses an old intel iMac connecting direct to the cart via the 2 USB A cables and there are no issues at all.

Has anyone seen problems like I'm seeing? Have you found any docks that do work in this type of setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dlondon
Valued Contributor

So the HP USB-C dock I was using was a G3 model. When I tried the newer G5 in the port closest to the MacBook Air screen it allowed all of the cart to have network

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

dlondon
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering if I need to try a Thunderbolt 3 dock instead of a USB-C dock

dlondon
Valued Contributor

So the HP USB-C dock I was using was a G3 model. When I tried the newer G5 in the port closest to the MacBook Air screen it allowed all of the cart to have network