Teams cache redirection?

peet77
New Contributor

We run Linux and Mac users with networked home folders limited to 2GB in size. Users moving between Linux and Mac and using Microsoft Teams find that their user quota is regularly wiped out by the macOS version of Teams writing caches to ~/Library/Application/Microsoft/Teams.

Has anyone had any success redirecting this folder to another location, like /tmp, via a policy without breaking Teams functionality?

4 REPLIES 4

jared_f
Valued Contributor

You could rsync the folder at login and logout.

peet77
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, but we're not really interested in keeping the cache data. The issue is that our users move between platforms frequently, and until Microsoft provides an in-app solution to clear caches we have to get them to delete the cache data manually.
We could run a script at logout to clear the caches, but if a user stays logged in (which they often do) the cache continues to build.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I think I mis-read your question... you are redirecting ~/Library/Application/Microsoft/Teams to a network home folder already? Maybe run the script to clear it at login, logout, and every time you update inventory?

peet77
New Contributor

Not quite, no. Currently Teams on macOS writes cache data (and lots of it) to ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/... which rapidly fills up our users' network home folders. Replacing the cache folder(s) with symlinks to other locations breaks Teams for some reason on macOS. I was just wondering if anyone else had had the same issue and managed to get cache redirection to work. I think your suggestion is sound, but if a user stays on a macOS machine for a long time without login/logout the cache can still build up. It's a problem Microsoft really needs to address, but for now I guess we'll keep playing with scripts to clear the cache periodically. Thanks for the reply!