Technical definition of "supervised"

Oops_wasn_t_me
New Contributor III

Good Afternoon,
Is it possible to enrol an unsupervised iOS device into Casper and for the device to remain unsupervised ?

Or, does the process of enrolling, automatically make the device 'supervised' - because part of the enrolment process involves deploying a configuration profile on to the device (which intern 'turns on' additional supervised management features).

I'm seeking clarity on definitions for some customer documentation I am writing and want to confirm my definitions between supervise and managed are 'technical' correct. I'd appreciate any 'technical' insight with these terms.

Thank you,
Fred

2 REPLIES 2

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Of course you can, this is a usual scenario in a BYOD environment.

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

Supervised is a state that iOS devices can be put into via two methods:

By explicitly putting a device in "Supervised Mode" via Apple Configurator
By enrolling a device to your MDM via Apple's Device Enrollment Program

Enrolling to your JSS via an enrollment profile, email invitation, and/or user initiated web enrollment does not put a device in supervised mode, unless one of the aforementioned methods was employed beforehand. I highly recommend supervising your devices to leverage full management capabilities if you are enrolling company owned devices. If these are personal devices - then you should avoid supervised mode and just go through the standard Casper enrollment methods.

The IT Center site on apple.com is a good technical reference for different deployment methods: http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/it/management.html

I hope that helps!
Jason