Testing Classroom 2.0

ultimobert
New Contributor

Hi all

I'm testing Apple Classroom 2.0 out here in the school with a handful of teachers.
We want to use the Classroom app without mdm being involved(because without it is so much faster with only Bluetooth connection), so I deleted the teachers in the classes area.

My biggest question will be: can i push somehow the classes to Classroom so each teacher don't have to make the classes manually(i don't think it can't be done because there not user way pushed anymore) i would like to know if there's any kind of work around.

It would make a huge differents for the teachers if it can because each teacher don't have to manual add the classes(i know you can add them once and keep it saved that way, but if you have to do every class every year then it would be a burden to do)

Thank you all for reading this and comment if you like.

Best Regards Bert

ps: I'm sorry for my grammar,English is not my native language.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RLR
Valued Contributor

If you want to push classes to the teacher iPads you will need an MDM with Apple School Manager - these are known as managed classrooms

You should be able to run reports from your MIS to get the information you need to upload all your classes to ASM which doesn't take too long and will be worth it each year.

Classroom 2.0 brought in the ability to create ad-hoc classroom so teachers can create a classroom when they want- these are known as unmanaged classrooms

You can't use both managed and unmanaged classrooms. It's one or the other.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RLR
Valued Contributor

If you want to push classes to the teacher iPads you will need an MDM with Apple School Manager - these are known as managed classrooms

You should be able to run reports from your MIS to get the information you need to upload all your classes to ASM which doesn't take too long and will be worth it each year.

Classroom 2.0 brought in the ability to create ad-hoc classroom so teachers can create a classroom when they want- these are known as unmanaged classrooms

You can't use both managed and unmanaged classrooms. It's one or the other.

ultimobert
New Contributor

Would have been awesome to push the classes to ASM and still use it unmanaged classrooms.
Well, we will keep testing so if something come up i will post it :D

Thanks for the answer though.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Apple Classroom 2.0 Managed or unmanaged classrooms: one or the other based on a device having or not having the edu profile.
So for example it sounds like we could do unmanaged in Middle School and managed in Elementary School,
but we could not do some teachers one way and other teachers the other in the same school

http://help.apple.com/classroom/ipad/2.0/#/cad6d39b9338

kuypers
New Contributor III

Does any one know if we use unmanaged do we need be signed into iCloud account on Devices?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

We currently use Apple Classroom for K4 and they do not have Apple IDs. The device has to be assigned to a user, so for K2, we created generic users in LDAP and then assigned those to the devices.
For Gr 3-4, the devices are assigned 1 to 1 but the students do not have or need Apple IDs.
I doubt that would change, but test for sure.

bvondeylen
Contributor II

You do NOT need to be signed into an iCloud account to use Apple Classroom 2.0 in an unmanaged way. I was able to join a class on 2 test iPads, and I was not signed into either iPad.

chris_miller
Contributor

You also do not need to have Apple School Manager integrated yet. JamfPro pushes out the classes just fine. We are still using the SIS Import plugin until they fix a few things that are problematic with our particular SIS.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I'll second waiting for the right time to integrate with School Manager with the Apple Classroom tables. I am actually using SIS Importer from JAMF and am holding off integration until Apple and PowerSchool work things out to bring direct integration.

I haven't tested my workflow against Classroom 2.0 yet though. I'm hoping things don't break.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I'll second waiting for the right time to integrate with School Manager with the Apple Classroom tables. I am actually using SIS Importer from JAMF and am holding off integration until Apple and PowerSchool work things out to bring direct integration.

I haven't tested my workflow against Classroom 2.0 yet though. I'm hoping things don't break.