Testing PreStage ADE(DEP) Have to wipe and reinstall each time?

jkrainak
New Contributor II

I have about 100 M1 MacBook Airs to deploy and am working on my PreStage enrollment. Is it necessary to wipe and reinstall each time I want the ADE to run? In other words I make changes to the PreStage and fire up a MacBook - something doesn't work right, I make a few tweaks to the PreStage and want ADE to start over.

I remember doing this a few years ago, not sure if it still valid given SIP, etc

sudo rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
sudo rm /Library/Keychains/apsd.keychain
sudo rm -rf /var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/

thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jkrainak Since you're deploying to M1 Macs I won't recommend you use a VM to test your PreStage enrollment. If you're creating accounts as part of your enrollment process you'd definitely want to do a wipe and reinstall, and with M1 Macs you can use Apple Configurator 2 and DFU mode on the MacBook Air to do that in under 20 minutes. See section 5 of Mr. Macintosh's How to Reinstall macOS on your Apple Silicon M1 Mac. Everything you Need to Know article for details

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jkrainak Since you're deploying to M1 Macs I won't recommend you use a VM to test your PreStage enrollment. If you're creating accounts as part of your enrollment process you'd definitely want to do a wipe and reinstall, and with M1 Macs you can use Apple Configurator 2 and DFU mode on the MacBook Air to do that in under 20 minutes. See section 5 of Mr. Macintosh's How to Reinstall macOS on your Apple Silicon M1 Mac. Everything you Need to Know article for details

jkrainak
New Contributor II

Thanks - very helpful!