Third Party Application Auto Update

Sonuw
New Contributor III

I am looking for an script which will run Microsoft Autoupdate.app and search for available updates. If updates available script will list out all updates. then with the help of script if we update the Microsoft office.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ernstcs
Contributor III

I am going to go out on a limb on this one and say that it would be either not possible or practical to do this. I guess I'd want to know why you want to do it this way?

If you're running a JSS and are inventorying systems you can easily find out what version of Office 2008 systems are on by creating smart groups for particular versions of the Microsoft Word.app or others.

You can package up updates or in some cases just leave the MPKG or PKG installers as is and push them out in the correct order to get clients current. That includes an update under the Additional Tools section for Auto Update.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

So I guess to me it makes a difference trying to understand what your trying to accomplish.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ernstcs
Contributor III

I am going to go out on a limb on this one and say that it would be either not possible or practical to do this. I guess I'd want to know why you want to do it this way?

If you're running a JSS and are inventorying systems you can easily find out what version of Office 2008 systems are on by creating smart groups for particular versions of the Microsoft Word.app or others.

You can package up updates or in some cases just leave the MPKG or PKG installers as is and push them out in the correct order to get clients current. That includes an update under the Additional Tools section for Auto Update.

So I guess to me it makes a difference trying to understand what your trying to accomplish.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

After working with Ninite,something like that would be nice on the MAC side. they claim to be working on a mac version. i was working with appfresh and munki, but want to somehow integrate casper. Not an immediate need but I will update you if i get something working

LSinNY

Sonuw
New Contributor III

Thanks for respond @ ernstcs, I am going to go out on a limb on this one and say that it would be either not possible or practical to do this. I guess I'd want to know why you want to do it this way?

I am looking for a similar terminal command like we have for Apple Updates
i.e.
App-04:~ root# softwareupdate -l
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2010 Apple

Software Update found the following new or updated software: * OSXUpd10.8.1-10.8.1 OS X Update (10.8.1), 7115K [recommended] [restart]
App-04:~ root#

This above command list out all available updates for Apple.

So i was searching some terminal command or script to run Microsoft AutoUpdate.app through terminal but i could not find one. Hence i posted it on the forum if some one has worked on the same and found any solution.

I can run JSS inventory to find what version of application i am running with my system. and can package it after downloading the update from the verdor site.

But i was looking something out of JSS.

@LSinNY Thanks for respond.

I have appfresh installed in my system and gives me desired results. same as i said @ ernstcs
I am searching terminal command or script if possible for get same results using the command.

Sonuw
New Contributor III

Hello All,

Need help on the above post.

BaddMann
Contributor

Go look at autopkg and the jss add-on.