Time out /IPAD

ckelley
New Contributor II

HI- so if we are pushing out updates to Ipads with security PIN enforced- how long after the devices are first unlocked after a reboot do we have the ability to push apps/changes? I know it has to have an unlock once after a restart (such as IOS update); but is there a timeout period before apple restricts the ability to push apps/changes?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

rob1
Contributor

I believe that instructions sent to devices are placed in a queue and when a device checks in, the instruction is sent to it. https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-school-documentation/page/Quick_Action_Commands_for_Device_Manage...

With regards to updates, to force an update, you will need to clear the passcode for the device bearing in mind that the update is affected by battery percentage (has to be more than 50%), whether the power saving mode is on and in the case of a shared iPad, the user needs to be logged out. With regards to app updates, the app needs to be closed in order for the update to apply. Therefore it is a good idea in my mind to send a restart command to those devices that haven't updated their apps in a while to force an update of the app.