Touch-ID "Failing" at Setup Assist

Heavy_D
Contributor III

I have x2 enrolled MacBook Pros that are failing at the Touch-ID portion of the setup assistant right off the bat before even loading the profile and there after.

I have not changed any configurations for restrictions in quite some time and all configurations "Allow" Touch-ID's to work. I was presented with this issue this morning when both newly hired employee's presented the issue to me.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this issue?
9e71723af34b4caaba04fd430b3edb04
42328518396341c3a6d46386bd3b2812

I have tried: - Fresh Install of the OS
- Ran Diagnostics
- Cleared NVRAM
- Reset SMC

With no luck!

9 REPLIES 9

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

just a guess!

https://hardsoft-support.kayako.com/article/91-how-to-remove-the-touch-id-fingerprint-data

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@gachowski You can't use that command on T2 chipped machines as it will blow up your Volumes and you will loose all Data indefinitely.

adam_balestra
New Contributor II

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I'm getting this with two out of box MacBook Pro15,1s that came with 10.13.4. And it happens even after updating to Catalina.

merps
Contributor III

We got this on a test system after building it a bunch of times as we migrated to DEP. I ran the xartutil command from the link above to clear it out and, while the data was lost and I did have to rebuild from Internet Recovery, I was able to get the system up and running again.

adam_balestra
New Contributor II

@merps same for us, since the laptop has a T2 chip, we bricked ours as well and had to blow away the volume and start from scratch. But even after that, still having the same problem.

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@adam.balestra I ended up taking the machines to the Bar and they fixed it, might of been bad batch.

adam_balestra
New Contributor II

@JarvisUno As in physical repair? Weird, I have two computers from the same purchase order both exhibiting the same issue, while another 15,1 not from the same purchase that works fine. Thanks for the update!

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@adam.balestra Yes first time in my history as an admin that I take out two brand new out of the box Macbook Pros showing the same issue out of the box same batch though. Needless to say I played the LOTTO that day, didn't win though I mean come on what are the odds.

markdmatthews
Contributor

I have a case open with Apple - we've seen this on a few re-deployed/re-imaged devices.

Try running:
sudo /usr/sbin/xartutil --erase-all

In the process of working on a script that runs as current logged in users (via Self Service) to "repair" devices, just need to add condition for the expected yes/no (i.e. <<EOF Yes EOF)